Book 5 - Prologue 11

Paige's pages

Book 5 - Prologue 11
Comic - Book 5 - Page 11

Recent posts... (See full thread)
ruleno2 wrote:
But as for motive of embedding a code: Paige has already declared a war on the Authors, and is willing to risk her own life to tell of their unfairness. Whoever they are, if she worried about having that message thwarted, such as by censoring her tell-all book (if such a thing can be done) then she'd want to embed her message in as many of her previous popular safe for publishing ("SFW") books as possible, then merely release the key to deciphering it by word-of-mouth. Can't censor what's already out there! (Which FYI is a good idea if any of you are ever thinking of doing the same in today's borderline-censorship-war world)


I don't think that would work, although she might try it anyway. I know people try to trick the titans of Stupidworld, and they can read your mind. On Erfworld, I suspect the titans are a bit less omniscient (or at least less interested). We do know that Fate, at least, can be cheated (i.e. forced to start over thousands of turns later with different people). But the Erfworld titans can achieve the same overall effect using retconjuration.

Suppose Paige's book is a huge success and leads to widespread apostasy and/or antitheism (antititanism?) on Erf. It doesn't matter if what she writes is true, or just more fiction ("Before I write one word of fiction about that man, you will bring me the truth!" ~TT prologue 7). What matters is the total effect is has on Erf units. If the titans judge the effect to be bad enough, they can retconjur something to have stopped her. For example, they could pop a feral warlord whose Fate was to confirm the existence and location of Archezoa. That should be enough to ensure its destruction and prevent the book from ever being published. If they like leaving hints, they could even give the warlord a personal crest that shows Noah's Ark burning.

I don't really think that is what's happening. To me Paige seems very similar to Queen Orual from Till We Have Faces (essentially the story of Psyche, as told by her sister).

Queen Orual wrote:
I say, therefore, that there is no creature (toad, scorpion, or serpent) so noxious to man as the gods. Let them answer my charge if they can. It may well be that instead of answering, they'll strike me mad or leprous or turn me into beast, bird, or tree. But will not all the world then know (and the gods will know it knows) that this is because they have no answer?


If this is a valid parallel, Queen Paige's reversal would come when Nestlý's tower awakens. The tower will tell her something about king Archebald Type that isn't in the journals (or that Paige hasn't noticed, or has refused to understand). And that something will be sufficient to shatter the beliefs she is nurturing about the cruel titans.
infiniplex wrote:
I know people try to trick the titans of Stupidworld, and they can read your mind. On Erfworld, I suspect the titans are a bit less omniscient (or at least less interested). We do know that Fate, at least, can be cheated (i.e. forced to start over thousands of turns later with different people). But the Erfworld titans can achieve the same overall effect using retconjuration.

... huh?

(By which I mean, "There are at least two assertions in this paragraph that have been pulled out of thin air.")
We could try rearranging the words from ruleno2's post:

WE ALL DROWN
HMS CHALLENGER (message from HMS Challenger)
SCRAMBLED
NOT TPS CHALLENGER (not TPS Challenger, which might have sunk, or perhaps turned)
STEAL RANG (steel rang? referencing a fight?) CHALLENGER
FIRE CHALLENGER
ALL TERRIBLE
HIM WELL-FOUNDED (results of fight? Fumo founds a side?)
TPS CHALLENGER
MOMENT HORN (this part is where the horn of the Narwhale pierced the ship)
ALL SWORN (units turn?)
GLORY
seanfish wrote:
Umbrathor wrote:
Ivo wrote:
Good observation, but I think it is just the same family, not CM or LM. The strokes have different thickness and the font looks a tiny bit balder (sorry, couldn't help it). Most notably, 'E' has different serifs. Of course, that is no proof that Paige does not use TeX...I wonder if she uses \usepackage{fullpaige} :-)

*Amusedly watches the typography nerds fanboy all over the place*


Noooo idea what you guys are talking about it. But please keep at it.


In these situations I try to use the word "kerning" and then nod wisely. And then hope I don't get asked for any further input.


A good humanist approach.

I feel like I may have started the code speculation here, but I'm pretty sure it's just purple prose. Or, well, it would be purple if it wasn't in 1-bit color.

I wonder if Charlie ever sits in his tower and decides to spread some coded secret messages that just decode to "DRINK MORE OVALTINE". Or I guess in Erfworld that would be DRINK MORE HEXENE -- but that's seriously not recommended.
pyrrolysine wrote:
We could try rearranging the words from ruleno2's post:

WE ALL DROWN
HMS CHALLENGER (message from HMS Challenger)
SCRAMBLED
NOT TPS CHALLENGER (not TPS Challenger, which might have sunk, or perhaps turned)
STEAL RANG (steel rang? referencing a fight?) CHALLENGER
FIRE CHALLENGER
ALL TERRIBLE
HIM WELL-FOUNDED (results of fight? Fumo founds a side?)
TPS CHALLENGER
MOMENT HORN (this part is where the horn of the Narwhale pierced the ship)
ALL SWORN (units turn?)
GLORY


Alright, let me take a crack at this. I'll admit right now that... I goofed. I saw the first part of the post, the first "page" of Paige's pages shown and I thought that was the whole thing, I hit the "end" key and scrolled my way up until I saw the discussion link and dove right in. It wasn't until a day or so ago I realized that I'd read no more than a third of the actual post!

Quote:
WE ALL DROWN
HMS CHALLENGER
SCRAMBLED NOT
TPS CHALLENGER
STEAL RANG
CHALLENGER
FIRE
CHALLENGER
ALL TERRIBLE HIM
WELL-FOUNDED
TPS CHALLENGER
MOMENT HORN ALL SWORN GLORY


My first inclination is to assume that it's a code hidden within other data, IE, fluff data. This first comes to me with the constant repetition of CHALLENGER and the acronym immediately ahead of it. So, let's see what we get when we remove those.

Quote:
WE ALL DROWN
SCRAMBLED NOT
STEAL RANG
FIRE
ALL TERRIBLE HIM
WELL-FOUNDED
MOMENT HORN ALL SWORN GLORY


Hmm, it's not ringing any bells with me, everything it's saying is exactly what the text around it is saying. You know, this reminds me of a puzzle, a prophecy from the comic antiheroes (which hasn't updated since 2015!) wherein we got all the words, but they were all jumbled and needed to be rearranged and even then it was cryptic. I know, I took a crack at it myself. Let's see the words with no arrangement.

Quote:
WE, ALL, DROWN, SCRAMBLED, NOT, STEAL, RANG, FIRE, ALL, TERRIBLE, HIM,
WELL-FOUNDED, MOMENT, HORN, ALL, SWORN, GLORY,


I'm keeping "WELL-FOUNDED" together because it's got that hyphen, indicating that it's all one thing, it was written with the help of a signamancer after all.

So, let me see if I can attempt a few cracks at it.


NOT, ALL, SCRAMBLED,
MOMENT, WE, STEAL, FIRE,
GLORY, HORN, RANG,
WELL-FOUNDED, HIM, TERRIBLE,
ALL, SWORN, ALL, DROWN,

That... is probably the best I'm going to do tonight.

"Not all scrambled
(the) moment we steal fire
glory horn rang
Well-founded: him = terrible
All sworn, All drown"
I'm having fun watching people trying to decipher the code, but I'm honestly not sure there is one.

The capitalized words just seem to be for emphasis, the way the old Penny Dreadfuls did, before italicized fonts became commonplace. It fits with Paige's writing style, too.
Mad Raven wrote:
I'm having fun watching people trying to decipher the code, but I'm honestly not sure there is one.

The capitalized words just seem to be for emphasis, the way the old Penny Dreadfuls did, before italicized fonts became commonplace. It fits with Paige's writing style, too.


Word up. I'm thinking about they way they showed John Nash's insanity in the movie version of "A Beautiful Mind"
So, this is all in-story fiction, something that Page made up because she had no further information from the bird?
Count_to_10 wrote:
So, this is all in-story fiction, something that Page made up because she had no further information from the bird?


I think either most of it is fiction or Fumo lived and told the story. Maybe not directly to Paige but someone else and bird heard him.
Mad Raven wrote:
I'm having fun watching people trying to decipher the code, but I'm honestly not sure there is one.

The capitalized words just seem to be for emphasis, the way the old Penny Dreadfuls did, before italicized fonts became commonplace. It fits with Paige's writing style, too.


Pffffft. I'm having fun just trying, that's the only reason I do, not because I think there's something there, but because I'm too bored not to try!