Book 5 - Prologue 10

Then write *my* memoir

Book 5 - Prologue 10
Comic - Book 5 - Page 10

Recent posts... (See full thread)
I wonder if authors gain a bit of XP every time one of their books pops in a library somewhere, or is read by a reader?
Malady wrote:
Anomynous 167 wrote:
Spoiler: show
Regardless of any hidden motives of Honest Dick, his criticisms are warranted. Paige Turner has this unhealthy obsession of seeing a unit's "Ending" and the only endings she can write are the ones where a unit meets it's final tragic fate. She couldn't just write about Fumo the Free and his arsonic struggle against the world, to the day he became Fumo the Carpudlian or Fumo the Chained. She had to write about "Fumo the Dead".

It's no wonder Dickie thinks all these characters are losers: they all lost their lives. There is no "Happily Ever After" for Paige Turner.
She can write a thrilling pot-boiler, there's no doubt about that. But when every book of hers ends the same way, they kind of leave the same aftertaste.

There's no need to be too revealing in Paige Turner's autobiography (from Dick's point of view). For all he knows Turner is part of a mercenary side who opperates far from home. She'd be sure to have a schwasbuckling tale or two about herself under her belt (like one of Jack's tales about Jillian back when Parson was a prisoner). Or Paige can publish an early draft about another Schwashbuckler who's tale hasn't ended.


Dickie isn't alone about his criticisms on Paige's work. Noah himself would often complain to Turner that "Stories about Ferals didn't need to end".

Or maybe by losers Dickie isn't referring to those that are terminally dead but those who never made it in life.
It looks like that Turner may soon take Haggar's criticism to heart, and publish the story of one King Archibald.


So, hmm... What would Paige do, if she learns that, at the moment she and Noah are discussing him, he is still alive, and she can't write his ending, since he hasn't ended yet?

IIRC, no Random Barbarian Warlord, has lasted longer than three turns, or something? As said in the first page of Fumo?

Oh she knows he's on a boat. The real question is what would Paige do when she learns that Fumo has turned to Atlanta? It's going to really mess with her "Woe to those popped as Barbarians!" theme she's been running.

edit: spoiler-tagged.
ShaneTheBrain wrote:
I wonder if authors gain a bit of XP every time one of their books pops in a library somewhere, or is read by a reader?

I've stopped wondering about alternate ways to gain levels ever since it was revealed that Don didn't get any XP from sitting around drinking tea all day.

Anyways, the one issue with your idea is that Paige Turner doesn't publish her own books (that's what Noah Whatsit does.). By all rights the XP would go to the publisher (or maybe the reader of the book).
ideologist wrote:
Anomynous 167 wrote:
ideologist wrote:
I just noticed that Dickie's crown is like his famous peace sign gesture. I know the V's are formed from jeans, but it resembles a set of peace signs to me.

That's no peace sign. You're viewing the crown backwards.

Very Dickie-ish.


I meant the upside-down placement of the pants in a V shape.

I know what you meant. And that was no peace-sign as you were viewing the crown backwards in the picture.
Anomynous 167 wrote:

StClair wrote:
Two things:

One, the arrangement of spikes/spokes on the crown actually puts me in mind of a warship's guns.

Second, the same "V-fingers" gesture has several meanings, depending on cultural context. One is "peace"; another is "victory"; and a third, related to the second, is an insult with various interpretations - "I win, you lose", "my fingers in your eyes", "I still have my bow-drawing fingers (the better to shoot you with)", etc etc.

Also "Henry the Fifth, motherfeckers".

The meaning varries depending on which way the palm is facing.
Typically the peace sign, and the victory ones have the palm facing towards the listener, whilst the more aggressive variants have the palm facing the speaker.

As for when the palm is facing the ground, that's when the gesturer is meaning "My fingers in your eyes", though even a blind-man is familiar with that sign, as such a hand-sign is typically communicated using brail.

Furthermore the "V-Sign" when done gangster-style, or sideways means "scissors".
ShaneTheBrain wrote:
I wonder if authors gain a bit of XP every time one of their books pops in a library somewhere, or is read by a reader?

Scene:Library: City of Heroes

Two Signamancers are sitting reading. Suddenly there's a soft chime.

One looks up, excited, "Hey, I just hit level 97!"

The other smiles, "What's it from, 'Effects of Aging'?"

"Nah, that one's just for masters. It's from 'A Prymer on Signamancy for both the Fresh-popped Prince and the Agéd Ruler Alike'."

"Lucky you, I'm not getting XP on anything anymore."
Hero of Shadows wrote:
My take on this: Nixon is no crook :mrgreen:

First off he's clearly writting this from his library, I'm willing to bet that he believes in every one of those errors he's sent to Paige, even if they are factual errors "side X does not have access to the heavy unit you depicted in chapter 3" or just errors of perception he sees her protagonists as hopeless losers because he only respects strength she sees them as strong because they are enduring unjust circumstances.


Or, and this seems way out in left field from the rest of the discussion, perhaps he's dealing with losing his heir by distracting himself, by burying himself in minutae as a way to cope. I can't remember seeing any comics exploring the relationship between Dick and Sammy, but who knows, maybe he cared.
Malady wrote:
IIRC, no Random Barbarian Warlord, has lasted longer than three turns, or something? As said in the first page of Fumo?

No, Noah said that some lucky barbarian warlords do find a side to turn to, or even enter a long-term mercenary relationship with.

By the way, in Fumo Part 1, Noah also says that he already published Paige's life story. Has "Tricky" Dickie just not managed to get his hands on a copy, or hear about it?
My take on the letter is that while King Dickie imagines Paige living an exciting life, the reality is that she is an author because her actual life is by Erf-standards very boring. Also he's a dick. But apparently a lot of different takes are possible.

Anomynous 167 wrote:
Malady wrote:
Anomynous 167 wrote:
Spoiler: show
Regardless of any hidden motives of Honest Dick, his criticisms are warranted. Paige Turner has this unhealthy obsession of seeing a unit's "Ending" and the only endings she can write are the ones where a unit meets it's final tragic fate. She couldn't just write about Fumo the Free and his arsonic struggle against the world, to the day he became Fumo the Carpudlian or Fumo the Chained. She had to write about "Fumo the Dead".

It's no wonder Dickie thinks all these characters are losers: they all lost their lives. There is no "Happily Ever After" for Paige Turner.
She can write a thrilling pot-boiler, there's no doubt about that. But when every book of hers ends the same way, they kind of leave the same aftertaste.

There's no need to be too revealing in Paige Turner's autobiography (from Dick's point of view). For all he knows Turner is part of a mercenary side who opperates far from home. She'd be sure to have a schwasbuckling tale or two about herself under her belt (like one of Jack's tales about Jillian back when Parson was a prisoner). Or Paige can publish an early draft about another Schwashbuckler who's tale hasn't ended.


Dickie isn't alone about his criticisms on Paige's work. Noah himself would often complain to Turner that "Stories about Ferals didn't need to end".

Or maybe by losers Dickie isn't referring to those that are terminally dead but those who never made it in life.
It looks like that Turner may soon take Haggar's criticism to heart, and publish the story of one King Archibald.


So, hmm... What would Paige do, if she learns that, at the moment she and Noah are discussing him, he is still alive, and she can't write his ending, since he hasn't ended yet?

IIRC, no Random Barbarian Warlord, has lasted longer than three turns, or something? As said in the first page of Fumo?

Oh she knows he's on a boat. The real question is what would Paige do when she learns that Fumo has turned to Atlanta? It's going to really mess with her "Woe to those popped as Barbarians!" theme she's been running.

edit: spoiler-tagged.


I thought Atlanta was Noah's Ark, in effect Paige Turner's side? If so, what will she do when her character shows up at her home? (A problem I by the way hope Rob will never have to deal with)
Caprice wrote:
Malady wrote:
IIRC, no Random Barbarian Warlord, has lasted longer than three turns, or something? As said in the first page of Fumo?

No, Noah said that some lucky barbarian warlords do find a side to turn to, or even enter a long-term mercenary relationship with.

By the way, in Fumo Part 1, Noah also says that he already published Paige's life story. Has "Tricky" Dickie just not managed to get his hands on a copy, or hear about it?

You should contact Rob about this. While Dickie is a bit of an ass for sending a long list of "errors," I've found that Rob generally reacts positively when someone points out a continuity error. While it's possible that Dickie just hasn't heard of it, it seems like there is quite a fan community for Paige's work, so her autobiography would theoretically be something widely talked about in those circles.
While reading the comments, my interpretation of the update whent from 'fairly clear what was meant' to 'oh wow, this is yet another prime example of the astounding complexity Rob manages to imbue into Erfworld.' By which I mean the world, the characters, and the story.

In short: both 'sides' in the culture war debate make good points. Interpreting King Dickie's letter from only one of those viewpoints detracts from the complexity. Both Dickie and Paige are depicted as characters with both failings and good qualities.

I do think Rob put some clear clues in the text:

  • "Dear Authoress" implies that they do not know one another well. If they had regularly corresponded, or if she had asked him to edit, he would have used a different style of address, and would have referenced this with an "At your request". The fact that his corrections pertain to multiple works, and not to unpublished manuscripts, is another sign that this is not at her request.

  • "meticulously compiled" is fairly self-congratulatory, and a signal to Paige that she had better take these suggested changes seriously, and not see them as mere suggestions.

  • "a compiled compilation" of "errors, corrections and suggestions" emphasises the multitude of improvements that need to be made - showing that he believes her work to be far from excellent.
    Had he wished to give the opposite impression, he would have written something like 'a few,' or 'a number,' which is more neutral.

  • "hopeless losers" is also far from complimentary.


While I like the idea that Dickie may be trying to get her to reveal her secrets, his wording reminds me of the kind of fan who has a celebrity crush. While belittling her work, he alludes to her 'triumph', and calls her 'a mysterious woman.' In this reading of his letter, 'Warlady' may allude to him putting her on a pedestal; as deserving a more glamorous title than just 'Warlady.'


[Edit: woops, I thought I had read aoll the commesnt when I wroite this post, but I hadn't. Lemon preceded me in fanboying about the complexity and depth of the story and characters, and hero of Shadows hads already pointed out that Dicky might be romantically interested in Paige.]
mortissimus wrote:
I thought Atlanta was Noah's Ark, in effect Paige Turner's side? If so, what will she do when her character shows up at her home? (A problem I by the way hope Rob will never have to deal with)


Well, I think Parson Gotti would be a fun enough guy to meet and chat with. Now, Stanley, or Wanda... not so much.

I would love to meet Tramennis!




What? ... You'd guessed?