Book 3 - Page 333

Getting his first notch

Book 3 - Page 333
Comic - Book 3 - Page 333
Recent posts... (See full thread)
OK, the ratios versus fractions debate is much ado about nothing.

For all intents and purposes, for any math class you take that matters, ratios and fractions are considered to be the same difference practically.

The amusing part of this is that people are getting hung up on ratios meaning 'a comparison of two numbers', when the KDR, which started this whole discussion, is expressed as a single value.

Also, for anyone that's interested, the KDR algorithm for video games normally defines the 'death' part of the algorithm as 'lives given', which is why there isn't a problem dividing by zero. Because when you're given your first life to play and don't have any kills yet, you have a 0/1 KDR, which is 0. Therefore if you have 1 kill and haven't died yet, your KDR would be 1.

If you're really interested in the nuances between how fractions and ratios are expressed (like I said for practical purposes they're the same difference), you might want to check out the link at https://courses.lumenlearning.com/preal ... -decimals/, and look at the Example following the definition of Ratios.

Also, when it comes down to it, any number can be considered a ratio because you can always compare it to 1, i.e., the number 4 can be expressed as a 4:1 ratio, the number 3 can be expressed as a 3:1 ratio, etc. And they can be expressed as fractions that way also.

I'm really not sure what people are arguing about here.
Menas wrote:
...

I'm really not sure what people are arguing about here.


This is the internet... you don't need an "about" to argue...
GusZep wrote:
Menas wrote:
...

I'm really not sure what people are arguing about here.


This is the internet... you don't need an "about" to argue...


What you mean is:

GusZep wrote:
Menas wrote:
PARAGRAPHS WORTH OF ARGUMENT

I'm really not sure what people are arguing about here.


This is the internet... you don't need an "about" to argue...
Just to make things even more complicated, what if you throw in a third number...
Say we have 3 deaths, 8 kills, in 5 games played....
3:8:5

And before you say you can't do that... what do you think a win loss tie ratio is?

(ok math geniuses, ready aim fire, I am just talking out of my... )
JerBar wrote:
Just to make things even more complicated, what if you throw in a third number...
Say we have 3 deaths, 8 kills, in 5 games played....
3:8:5

And before you say you can't do that... what do you think a win loss tie ratio is?

(ok math geniuses, ready aim fire, I am just talking out of my... )


And the player is a halfling...
JerBar wrote:
Just to make things even more complicated, what if you throw in a third number...
Say we have 3 deaths, 8 kills, in 5 games played....
3:8:5

And before you say you can't do that... what do you think a win loss tie ratio is?

(ok math geniuses, ready aim fire, I am just talking out of my... )


Yes, or because I apparently really love fruit metaphors:

8 bananas:3 apples:2 oranges.

A ratio of 8:3:2 respectively.

Anyone want to confidently shoot out 8/3/2 as the fraction that represents this? Sure, we can do 8 divided by 3 divided by 2 and get 1.333...

I don't think 1 1/3 in any way represents what's going on with the RATIO of bananas, apples and oranges.

As long as nobody's shooting that argument down... you're all just making assertions.
Claud's KDR is 1.0 which is obviously the result of performing a division of the two numbers 1 (kills) and 1 (deaths). Thus, a kill/death ratio, calculated by dividing. Because that's how it works.
greycat wrote:
Claud's KDR is 1.0 which is obviously the result of performing a division of the two numbers 1 (kills) and 1 (deaths). Thus, a kill/death ratio, calculated by dividing. Because that's how it works.


Then lets take Parson who has 3 kills and zero deaths. Please use a fraction to describe his kill death ratio in decimal form. You can't, because a ratio is not always equivalent to a fraction. Yes you can USUALLY treat them the same but there are differences.
GusZep wrote:
Menas wrote:
...

I'm really not sure what people are arguing about here.


This is the internet... you don't need an "about" to argue...


Well Played.
greycat wrote:
Claud's KDR is 1.0 which is obviously the result of performing a division of the two numbers 1 (kills) and 1 (deaths). Thus, a kill/death ratio, calculated by dividing. Because that's how it works.


So what we're saying is a kill/death ratio isn't actually a ratio, because it's closer to a fraction in properties except when the deaths is at 0 in which case it isn't.

In other words - KDR is specialist jargon that only has relevance in gaming contexts because real people can't have an integer above 1 for "death" unless we get really cute and have people who were technically dead and rescuscitated... and the "ratio" in "kill death ratio" isn't the same as the "ratio" in the mathematics textbooks so we can do away with arguing that "ratio" and "fraction" are the same because we don't need to in order to discuss KDR.

PHEW NOW IT'S OVER.

Narrator: It wasn't.