Book 3 - Page 317

Twenty-five easy pieces

Book 3 - Page 317
Comic - Book 3 - Page 317
Recent posts... (See full thread)
alowe wrote:

So, now I'm confused. Do the state of the portal columns effect the topside portal at all?

Going through a broken-collar portal from the city-side may put you in Portal Park, or below the bedrock.

The process was invented and described by Tondelayo in the update Merilynne linked to, and which I've now linked to again.

Quote:
And, has there ever been a drawing of a disabled portal? I've got a feeling there has been.

What do you mean by a "disabled portal"? There's a portal ceasing to be a portal at the end of book 2, when Parson was trapped in Spacerock after Jetstone transferred their capital back to the City of Jetstone.

Quote:
Charlie has just had the lights turned out, so no more free unlimited source for him. Does this effect his ability to pay his side's upkeep? He doesn't seem to have many units, as his units, the Archons, are very high ability assets, meaning he doesn't need so many (or at least, didn't).

Archons are relatively expensive units, and he has several hundred of them.

That said, losing power to his traps and doodads has no effect on his massive treasury. He may not be able to defend himself against attacks (traps are disabled), and he may not be able to entertain visitors on Level 40 (no power to the slot machines or whatever), which may affect his income, but Charlie is not hurtin' for shmuckers. He can support his Archons for a very long time just on his stockpiled treasury alone, even if he has no client payments coming in.
greycat wrote:
alowe wrote:

So, now I'm confused. Do the state of the portal columns effect the topside portal at all?

Going through a broken-collar portal from the city-side may put you in Portal Park, or below the bedrock.

The process was invented and described by Tondelayo in the update Merilynne linked to, and which I've now linked to again.

Quote:
And, has there ever been a drawing of a disabled portal? I've got a feeling there has been.

What do you mean by a "disabled portal"? There's a portal ceasing to be a portal at the end of book 2, when Parson was trapped in Spacerock after Jetstone transferred their capital back to the City of Jetstone.


Also check Digdoug's account of looking for his home's portal in the MK.

A broken collar doesn't change anything about the portal topside working or not. To be honest, I even wonder what the collar is there for in the first place, and who placed 'em there.
greycat wrote:
I did not realize, until people here pointed it out, that the last line of the last panel, "Think I'm missin' a piece, too." is spoken by Jed. Have we ever seen him drop the "g" from an "-ing" word before? Is he starting to pick up Parson's speech patterns?

Oh, also "Somethin' happened." in the first panel. Hmm.

Turns out I was simply not remembering correctly.

Jed drops the "g" in older updates too. For example, Waterin' down our drinks (page 298).

I'm relieved. I was worried that Jed had suffered some subtle kind of brain damage, but now I think it's a false alarm.
DeanXeL wrote:
A broken collar doesn't change anything about the portal topside working or not. To be honest, I even wonder what the collar is there for in the first place, and who placed 'em there.

Agreed. I have not seen or read anything in the comments or the comic that explains their purpose at all. Since the topside portal doesn't need them to function, they seem completely superfluous.
alowe wrote:
DeanXeL wrote:
A broken collar doesn't change anything about the portal topside working or not. To be honest, I even wonder what the collar is there for in the first place, and who placed 'em there.

Agreed. I have not seen or read anything in the comments or the comic that explains their purpose at all. Since the topside portal doesn't need them to function, they seem completely superfluous.


When the portal collar is broken we get portal shards under bedrock. So that seems to be the purpose... somehow containing the portal energy and directing it.
JadedDragoon wrote:
alowe wrote:
DeanXeL wrote:
A broken collar doesn't change anything about the portal topside working or not. To be honest, I even wonder what the collar is there for in the first place, and who placed 'em there.

Agreed. I have not seen or read anything in the comments or the comic that explains their purpose at all. Since the topside portal doesn't need them to function, they seem completely superfluous.


When the portal collar is broken we get portal shards under bedrock. So that seems to be the purpose... somehow containing the portal energy and directing it.

I can see that as a plot purpose but nothing you said sounds like a purpose within the story, to me. The topside portal gets its portal energy with or without the collar so, there you go. Mystery...
alowe wrote:
JadedDragoon wrote:
When the portal collar is broken we get portal shards under bedrock. So that seems to be the purpose... somehow containing the portal energy and directing it.

I can see that as a plot purpose but nothing you said sounds like a purpose within the story, to me. The topside portal gets its portal energy with or without the collar so, there you go. Mystery...


Proposed fanon for the purpose of the portal collars: To reinforce joined sections of the portal columns that extend through the bedrock to the Erf surface. Removal of, or damage to the collar causes portal shards to be scattered into the bedrock.
Isaac Cosminov could very well be attempting to steel the Arkenhammer this update. He has the ability to see through other hexes and unlimited juice to do so. He could very well know that Stanley doesn't have the 'ammer on 'im.
Merilynne wrote:
alowe wrote:
JadedDragoon wrote:
When the portal collar is broken we get portal shards under bedrock. So that seems to be the purpose... somehow containing the portal energy and directing it.

I can see that as a plot purpose but nothing you said sounds like a purpose within the story, to me. The topside portal gets its portal energy with or without the collar so, there you go. Mystery...


Proposed fanon for the purpose of the portal collars: To reinforce joined sections of the portal columns that extend through the bedrock to the Erf surface. Removal of, or damage to the collar causes portal shards to be scattered into the bedrock.

Nope, just sounds like a rewording of what JadedDragoon said. I'm not seeing even a hint of purpose.

It would be like saying that, the purpose of grass roots is to appear broken after the grass is cut, and that grass roots have no relation to the grass. It's meaningless.
Dan_the_Dirty wrote:
Another awesome strip.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but the signamancy of the towers (temples?) themselves is incredibly ominous. The civilization that built the heads on Easter Island (at least in popular culture if not in fact) were ruined because all the resources spent building the heads left a once rich island a desolate wasteland. All this talk about tapping into the energy of the "source" makes me very concerned about the potential of a finite resource being exhausted. Remember that when Parson first saw the tower http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/54
He remembers something about the islanders using their resources to build the towers and then dying out. Something similar could very well happen to Erfworld.

I cannot look at that last image of all the now exposed columns and what mysteries they can expose with anything except dread.


This has been debunked as a myth in archaeology for a while now. The culprits for deforestation was introduced rats.

http://theconversation.com/the-truth-ab ... mise-85563