Book 3 - Page 304

Squeezy and seizy

Book 3 - Page 304
Comic - Book 3 - Page 304
Recent posts... (See full thread)
Fla_Panther wrote:
Decapitation strike: Parson didn't. Charlie did. Even if CC parleys here, if either Caesar or Ben live that fact will become known. It would either gain trust from other sides (for Parson, if not Stanley), or they may see him as weak and use it to an advantage. I suspect Rob has plans to show both outcomes being shown from different sides.

Yes, Parson did do a decapitation strike. Remember when he ordered Lilith to kill Charlie while under truce?

Also there is written evidence that Parson and Jack, as prisoners, were planning on croaking everyone in the city. Neither of those things bode well for Parson's reputation.

The decapitation strike on Charlie is public knowledge, but no one actually believes it despite hearing it.
SomeGuy411 wrote:
Charlie had a good plan. An excellent plan even. Remove several high value enemy assets, sacrificing a low value asset and a questionably loyal mid value asset, then retrieve a fortune? Shirley just talked him out of a very good play. You can bet he will remember that.

Edit: Vanna may even have been recoverable, depending on when the city went neutral.


The math was good, but the optics were shit.

The thing here is that Shirley is functioning as Charlie's moral compass, something that he has not had since he founded Charlescom. As leader of Charlescom, all he had were Archons, who essentially trusted him completely, and followed his orders without question. They disagreed with each-other, but never with him. This ultimately created an echo-chamber where his worst impulses were magnified and rewarded. And while that worked out for him for a very long time, it has recently been failing miserably, and was never remotely healthy.

Shirley can provide him with push-back against his most ruthless and paranoid impulses. She forces him to examine the morality of his actions when he previously had been almost completely amoral and to see other people as more than just game pieces to be played.
Sleep meds kicking in, this is all I have. Goodnight.

GaryThunder wrote:
Anyone else notice the Quake Q logo in #RAGEQUIT ?

Maybe also for QUAD DAMAGE?


I would assume for EarthQuake, since bringing down the whole tower down on everyone to get Bill would be a ragequit.

TimeBot wrote:
Nice to also have some support here that Signamancy is Inherited, given that the heir is being popped as a royal scion of Don, and was also declared by Shirley to be Vanna's.


Oh shit, it just occurred to me ... what if TV's heir is a woman? Might she ask Caesar to marry? I doubt it because he's not of the same royal pedigree, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. And man that could fuck up Vanna's head. It would also be conflicting for Caesar since he loves Bunny and we think she's bound to come back if no other way then through her doll.

Though wouldn't it make a hell of a tragic love triangle? That's assuming the Bunny doll cannot be made "real" because I don't even want to think about the story playing out that way. And I don't suppose Rob would intend for his book to go in that direction anyway. The book is pretty much PG-13 if not G rated.

Ganurath wrote:
I feel compelled to point out two things:

1. The number of captor's side units in the hex influences escape probability.
2. TV has bats.


I feel compelled to point out two things:

1. Caesar can fly.
2. None of CC's units in hex can.

easter wrote:
I disagree entirely. A large part of the forums didn't see Bill's betrayal coming.


The only reason I assigned it a low possibility was because I wasn't sure what kinds of magic Bill could/could not cast. I think Caesar should know those details far better (having been a commander for how long?), and I trusted that if Caesar trusted Bill I would. It's possible a CC link carnied him to be able to cast that spell, but barring further exposition I do agree Caesar should've known better.

Omnimancer wrote:
He knows Bill is a monster, but he didn't view him as capable of treason.


Except he fessed up to collaborating with Vanna and RVC in the very last update!

Omnimancer wrote:
So they thought Bill is being played by Vanna and Charlie, but still ultimately loyal to Transylvito, and conspiring with Vanna on behalf of Transylvito.


Forget parts 2 & 3 of that sentence. Part 1 is reason enough not to let that person get NEAR you, because for all you know parts 2 & 3 could now be lies. As, indeed, they were.
Anomynous 167 wrote:
Fla_Panther wrote:
Decapitation strike: Parson didn't. Charlie did. Even if CC parleys here, if either Caesar or Ben live that fact will become known. It would either gain trust from other sides (for Parson, if not Stanley), or they may see him as weak and use it to an advantage. I suspect Rob has plans to show both outcomes being shown from different sides.

Yes, Parson did do a decapitation strike. Remember when he ordered Lilith to kill Charlie while under truce?

Also there is written evidence that Parson and Jack, as prisoners, were planning on croaking everyone in the city. Neither of those things bode well for Parson's reputation.

The decapitation strike on Charlie is public knowledge, but no one actually believes it despite hearing it.


I was specifically referring to the latter and that they didn't do it. I don't think anyone else knows about the former. They know GK repatriated Lilith, but I don't think they know about the decapitation strike. I think CC announced that they were attacked but that's a general and vague enough statement, no mention of decapitation strikes. I'd say to link me if I'm wrong but frankly, I'm going to bed and will probably never care enough to dig through this thread again. (Sorry, I just don't have the time to waste most of the time.)
Quote:
Oh shit, it just occurred to me ... what if TV's heir is a woman? Might she ask Caesar to marry? I doubt it because he's not of the same royal pedigree, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. And man that could fuck up Vanna's head. It would also be conflicting for Caesar since he loves Bunny and we think she's bound to come back if no other way then through her doll.


As I earlier alluded, if TV's heir pops, I wager it'll be Queen Victoria, and she and Prince Albert will fall madly in love.
auraseer wrote:
I am getting increasingly frustrated with Charlie's ability to do whatever he wants to everybody, everywhere, all the time. Every time it looks like we might possibly be approaching a climax to this book, much less a conclusion, Charlie pulls new powers out of his boop.

I mean, he can remotely Turn a caster, on another side's turn, in the middle of the most secure part of their tower, at the right moment to instantaneously capture the Ruler, and could have conquered the whole side without a battle if he felt like it. Come on. We're getting silly now.

Good villains have limitations. Charlie isn't a good villain anymore. Now he's just that character run by the DM's girlfriend.

I think you have overlooked one simple (and highly likely) possibility: Bill turned of his own volition, and this can occur at any time.
Holms wrote:

I think you have overlooked one simple (and highly likely) possibility: Bill turned of his own volition, and this can occur at any time.

Pull the other one.

We know from Bill's own POV that he is terrified of disappointing Caesar. On his way to the meeting he wouldn't so much as stop to talk to Charlie, for fear that he'd be disbanded for being late. We also know he has no interest in authority or command. All he wants is to be able to make his dolls.

This is not a guy who spontaneously decides to turn traitor and have a physical confrontation with his ruler.

Furthermore, you want to claim that this change is entirely of his own volition, and just happened to occur a few seconds after he got off a call with Charlie, who beamed the conversation into his head with a powerful mind-affecting artifact? That would be the most enormously contrived coincidence in the history of storytelling.
...It has bells on?

You said it yourself: Bill's primary motivation is to make his dolls. Specifically, 'real dolls' because he is throughly creepy that way. This is a long-known part of his character, and Charlie capitalised on it: "Arkendish can make real dolls." Whether that statement of his is true or not is irrelevant - we know that people can lie over thinkamancy - Charlie offered Bill his dream come true.
Holms wrote:
Charlie offered Bill his dream come true.

Yes, that would be my point. Bill was convinced by Charlie, who offered him an irresistible reward for Turning.

That's kind of the opposite of "his own volition."
auraseer wrote:
Holms wrote:
Charlie offered Bill his dream come true.

Yes, that would be my point. Bill was convinced by Charlie, who offered him an irresistible reward for Turning.

That's kind of the opposite of "his own volition."

I'm not seeing any coersion in "I will give you what you want if you turn." He doesn't even have to be telling the truth for that to work, Bill is not wary at the best of times and especially not after a Turnamancer confused him.