Book 3 - Page 253

Anyway, here's "Wonderwall"

Book 3 - Page 253
Comic - Book 3 - Page 253
Recent posts... (See full thread)
zbeeblebrox wrote:
Aww snap, we've already seen this chapter what happens when Wanda sees one of her units in danger outside of combat. Buck is screwed. He better hope wassername casts some hippiemancy on him, for his own sake.

I wonder if Wanda's heard of the tree of woe...

Axiom wrote:
EpicCrab wrote:
Axiom wrote:
Janis is going to take a bullet for Lilith. We may still get decrypted Janis.

Why would she do that? She's not particularly pro-Wanda and she doesn't know Lilith at all.

Parson's respect for the little people has rubbed off on her and she's a firm believer in peace/love/happiness/life.

You dishonour her, she was caring about the little people while that despicable war criminal Hamster Gotti was just a gleam in his mother's eye. Have you forgotten her garden? Never mind that these people are her followers. A mother will protect her young.

Blagan Hyrede wrote:
In defense of Buck Nugget, they're facing a reality that's about 10x worse than a Zombie Apocalypse from a purely logistical and strategic standpoint. Wanda literally raises the dead, and any slight victory she achieves can snowball into a complete assimilation of the Magic Kingdom. The execution orders have already been given, as "marsupial" as the court system was. If he didn't have any problems with that ruling before, he shouldn't have any problems with pushing up the execution by a couple minutes in the middle of what's likely to soon become a battlefield. Based on what they knew, and from a perception of pure strategy, as soon as the Dirtamansion got broken into by an unknown unit, they should have Croaked Wanda.

If they hadn't already been sentenced to death, people might have a point in condemning his current actions. He's not even changing the method of their execution, it's still via bullet.

What you could argue is that it might be a bad strategic move, in that he might otherwise be able to use the prisoners as hostages to try and negotiate some kind of truce and peaceful exodus of Wanda and her minions from the Magic Kingdom. But he has no reason to suspect that would work, nor that a Croakamancer who can literally just raise more minions from the dead would be particularly concerned with losing a small handful of them. With the exception of perhaps the Archon, who may have valuable intelligence. Maybe if he knew that Wanda was currently trapped under bedrock, and didn't have the Pliers, he would be a bit more chill, but for all he's aware, she could pop back up at any moment and begin Decrypting. The fewer assets she has already available, the better their odds of beating her. Honestly, considering that the MK is facing what could reasonably be argued for them as an extinction level scenario, I'm surprised they even bothered with a show trial for Wanda.

And Nugget isn't a Predictamancer, so, he's probably not aware enough of Fate to understand how he's tempting it.

Brutal as it may be, it's a perfect example of why Parson made so much emphasis to Stanley about 'not being the scariest person in the room' Which is exactly what Wanda is. As terrifyingly powerful and resourceful as Charlie is, any attempt he makes to conquer the MK is going to cost him resources. For Wanda, she would acquire new ones.

I mean, people are literally in the comment threads for the comic, talking about how Wanda could, and should, just conquer the Magic Kingdom and Decrypt them all, but are surprised and disgusted when the Casters in the MK act as if that's a distinct possibility for which there should be concern.

The residents of the MK are going to act chiefly on self-preservation. Just because we as an audience know who is on the side of the "Good Guys" doesn't mean the Free Casters either know, nor care.

You overlook one simple fact. Wanda has taken no hostile action towards the magick kingdom until this moment. She even viewed fighting in the Magick Kingdom as sacrilege. But now, after they've provoked her thus? I'm put in mind of the Harfleur speech from Henry V. Are they not in the process of defying her to her worst?

fillmore wrote:
Does Wanda even have any juice to be able to cast after being repatriated? Jack and Maggie didn't have any right afterward, right?

Heh. Typed it out and realized Jack and Maggie are the names of Peter Pan's kids on Hook.

Yes, they used theirs up in a link prior to capture however, there are those who argue she'll have whatever juice she had left upon the moment of her capture. Of course, she may not have had anything left. She didn't shoot at the archons during the battle of portal park after all.

Not Me wrote:
I was also thinking Wanda was going to pull out some kind of repatriation through her strings being attached to Lillith's, but then I remembered that to cut the "prisoner string", Wanda used the Arkenpliers (in Thinkspace).
"Local" repatriations can be done by any unit, just by stacking with the prisoner. I'm not sure if Ansom's repatriation was "local" (stacking with Stanley after escaping from the Megalo's grasp) or "remote", but I'm leaning to "local".
As I understand it, repatriation needs "string cutting". The only (other) "Remote" repatriation we've seen needed "string cutting" at a distance (Wanda and Maggie were physically in Spacerock while Lillith was in Charlescomm).
A Master Class Thinkamancer needs to touch their target to cut their string and only a State 7 can cut threads at a distance (but from that update I'm guessing their power amounts for the MK only (or in-hex thread cutting) and not for the whole of Erfworld, since Roger claimed "the Great Minds could rule the Magic Kingdom" and not "the Great Minds could rule Erfworld"). So I would expect that Wanda alone won't be able to replicate the power of a State 7 without having the Arkenpliers with her.

Wanda's already replicating something a State 7 cannot accomplish, by seeing through the eyes of the archons, without using juice and without pliers in hands. Does she need the pliers for anything? It could be that bonding with them was a permanent upgrade and now serve merely as her royal sceptre equivalent. She then threw Maggie out of mindspace without using the pliers. And it's not like she's going up against Charlie this time around.

Count_to_10 wrote:
You know, from the perspective of most in the magic kingdom, the Decrypted are kind of like an intelligent zombie apocalypse. I'd probably be dusting them as fast as possible, if I were in their place -- particularly if they believe that the Decrypted are all just clones of Wanda's mind wearing corpses and their habits like a disguise.

That just means they're incredibly racist. Which really isn't a point in their favour.

Luitz wrote:
While in Stupidworld the eyes may be poorly designed to channel the amount of power required, we may find that in Erfworld, eye lasers are a thing.

I'm pretty sure we've already had confirmation of eye beam spells for the lookamancers.

*Checks* Yup.
Whispri wrote:
Luitz wrote:
While in Stupidworld the eyes may be poorly designed to channel the amount of power required, we may find that in Erfworld, eye lasers are a thing.

I'm pretty sure we've already had confirmation of eye beam spells for the lookamancers.

*Checks* Yup.


Yay! Go Wanda/Lillith! OmegaBeam him to ashes!

Edit: Surprised it's Lookamancy and not Shockamancy the one with the eye lasers... but then again, X-Ray Lasers ARE a thing, and sort of naturally flow from X-Ray Vision... 8-):geek:
greyknight wrote:
Not Me wrote:
Not sure what pinkie swears are you referring with Parson and Jillian, but your quote says "Prisoners lacked the juice to pinkie swear" and it so happens that Parson and Jillian are warlords and should not have juice to begin with. So there must be something more to that than just "lacking the juice due to being a prisoner".


Parson pinkie-swore to protect the GM's secrets, and you can check the page linked above for Jillian's (proposed) pinkie swear to Lord Christian Sidehug.

I'm unsure how to parse the rest of your comment; it sounds like you're suggesting pinkie swears don't require juice; but in that case, why did the narrator even bring it up? May as well say that prisoners lack the Move to pinkie-swear, since presumably that has nothing to do with it either.

The only sensible conclusion I can come to is Knavigator's conclusion that Warlords must have some non-zero amount of juice. Which is surprising to me, maybe it's old news to everybody else.


Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. It sounded strange to me when it said that a prisoner couldn't pinkie-swear for lack of juice when non-caster/non-casting units can pinkie-swear all the same. And if it's natural magic, I'm wondering why does it require juice, since we've seen many natural magic things carried out by units with (presumably) no juice.

So it's either that all units have some juice to perform these natural magic stuff (even though they might not be aware of having juice) or that the mention of not being able to perform a pinkie-swear due to lack of jucie might get retconjured in the future.
Dewey the Signamancer wrote:

Well actually if they had succeeded in croaking Wanda they would have just ended up facing something even worse later that would replace her. Probably a big part of why the Predictamancers aren't on board with this whole thing. And seriously when you have dozens of people who can see the future telling you that something is a bad idea you should probably start to reconsider if you want to go through with it. :wanda:

Edit:
Come to think of it I don't think the Predictamancers are even part of Those Who Matter. Which really says something about how ass backwards the Magic Kingdom is. The Stuffamancers get two seats at the table but the people who can see the fucking future don't even get to serve in an advisory role? Man no wonder this place is about to crash and burn.


Predictamancy is completely useless most of the time.

Most things "don't matter" so predictions about them can't be made. Things that do matter enough to be predicted will hapen so you can't avoid them, but you don't get a step by step of how to get there along with the prediction.

You'd need to predict something neutral or beneficial to yourself but that requires you to take an easily determined action you would not normally take to enable the prediction to come to pass, in order for having gotten the prediction to be a net gain over not bothering.
Turtlewing wrote:


Predictamancy is completely useless most of the time.

Most things "don't matter" so predictions about them can't be made. Things that do matter enough to be predicted will hapen so you can't avoid them, but you don't get a step by step of how to get there along with the prediction.

You'd need to predict something neutral or beneficial to yourself but that requires you to take an easily determined action you would not normally take to enable the prediction to come to pass, in order for having gotten the prediction to be a net gain over not bothering.


I don't think this is a fair evaluation of predictamancy. predictamancy can tell jillian 'your stack will be ambushed,' but if she changes what she was going to do to try to avoid the ambush that may just end up causing the ambush. it's 'useless' in terms of preventing the ambush but you can say 'well, at least make sure we're ready and they don't take us by surprise' and 'lets keep the stack near enough to closest city that we can get reinforcements if we need to.' or you could decide that maybe this isn't the best turn to escort your dirtamancer to an outlying city. and so forth.
Heffenfeffer wrote:
Eh, getting old beats the alternative.

Getting young?
Turtlewing wrote:
Dewey the Signamancer wrote:

Well actually if they had succeeded in croaking Wanda they would have just ended up facing something even worse later that would replace her. Probably a big part of why the Predictamancers aren't on board with this whole thing. And seriously when you have dozens of people who can see the future telling you that something is a bad idea you should probably start to reconsider if you want to go through with it. :wanda:

Edit:
Come to think of it I don't think the Predictamancers are even part of Those Who Matter. Which really says something about how ass backwards the Magic Kingdom is. The Stuffamancers get two seats at the table but the people who can see the fucking future don't even get to serve in an advisory role? Man no wonder this place is about to crash and burn.


Predictamancy is completely useless most of the time.

Most things "don't matter" so predictions about them can't be made. Things that do matter enough to be predicted will hapen so you can't avoid them, but you don't get a step by step of how to get there along with the prediction.

You'd need to predict something neutral or beneficial to yourself but that requires you to take an easily determined action you would not normally take to enable the prediction to come to pass, in order for having gotten the prediction to be a net gain over not bothering.


Predictamancers are kind of like Carniemancers. In the MK, their discipline simply isn't respected nor considered useful (in terms of paying upkeep). Worse, any Predictamancer in the MK either failed to predict the fall of their side, or were unable to use their predictions to stop it from happening.

Sure, a lot of casters understand that predictions are limited, but that only reduces their value. What good is it, in the MK, to receive a prediction about something that you can't do anything about? It isn't like outside, where it just might let a side adjust its strategy and survive a little longer.

I think a lot of people, given a chance to know the future, would happily decline if they also knew they could do nothing to change it. It takes a special sort to both know when and how they are going to die, and make all the funeral arrangements in advance so they can enjoy the festivities before they go (like the witches in Discworld).

Those That Matter have influence and value (wealth) in the MK. Other disciplines have a hard time sustaining themselves, and really can't do much unless they leave the MK to make income. Or else, they are "on welfare," supported by others of their class (like Date-a-mancers).

Carniemancers have nothing to offer, other than entertainment and emotional support. Even if you know that the Carnie is playing you, it is nice to have someone be your fun friend for a while and make your miserable existence in the MK bearable. Not all the residents of the MK are filthy rich rock stars, after all.

The MK isn't run by the Quorum Of The Wise. Every discipline could offer insight and information to help keep the MK running smoothly. Nope, money and power are the things which really Matter in the MK. No rulers, but there still are Bosses who demand respect and exercise authority.
Whispri wrote:

Not Me wrote:
I was also thinking Wanda was going to pull out some kind of repatriation through her strings being attached to Lillith's, but then I remembered that to cut the "prisoner string", Wanda used the Arkenpliers (in Thinkspace).
"Local" repatriations can be done by any unit, just by stacking with the prisoner. I'm not sure if Ansom's repatriation was "local" (stacking with Stanley after escaping from the Megalo's grasp) or "remote", but I'm leaning to "local".
As I understand it, repatriation needs "string cutting". The only (other) "Remote" repatriation we've seen needed "string cutting" at a distance (Wanda and Maggie were physically in Spacerock while Lillith was in Charlescomm).
A Master Class Thinkamancer needs to touch their target to cut their string and only a State 7 can cut threads at a distance (but from that update I'm guessing their power amounts for the MK only (or in-hex thread cutting) and not for the whole of Erfworld, since Roger claimed "the Great Minds could rule the Magic Kingdom" and not "the Great Minds could rule Erfworld"). So I would expect that Wanda alone won't be able to replicate the power of a State 7 without having the Arkenpliers with her.


Wanda's already replicating something a State 7 cannot accomplish, by seeing through the eyes of the archons, without using juice and without pliers in hands. Does she need the pliers for anything? It could be that bonding with them was a permanent upgrade and now serve merely as her royal sceptre equivalent. She then threw Maggie out of mindspace without using the pliers. And it's not like she's going up against Charlie this time around.


Disclaimer: Keep in mind everything below are just my conjecutres/theories on how this actually works and could be wrong

The way I see this a caster needs to have a string attached to something/someone to be able to pull something of the sort.

Bill attached his and Maggie's string to the doll, so both casters could somehow perform things through it, Maggie even being a prisoner.

Maggie has a string attached to Jed, so they can interact between each other.

Charlie could perform things through the action figure due to the string between overlord and side unit.

In Book 0, Wanda could see Jillian through the mannequin. I'm assuming that was by attaching one of her strings to it (I need to go check, but I believe she was assisted by some other caster to pull that off, she didn't do it all on her own). Also, my guess is Maxwell had his strings attached to the golems and that is why when he croaked, they ceased to be "intelligent" since those strings stopped being there.

Wanda has strings attached to every decrypted including decrypted archons and Ansom. She could see through the archons thanks to the thinkamancy in them, but needed the link with Maggie to see through Ansom.

Charlie has strings attached to his archons and can see through them.

I'd guess that if any of the Great Minds had a string attached to an archon, they could see through them as well without the need of a State 7.

What I was referring to in the post you quoted was more to "cutting" a string than to manipulating it.
So far we've seen many forms of thinkamancy manipulating strings to perform different things (mentioned above).
But the only ocassions we've seen a string cut were Bunny cutting Don's string (she needed touch for that), the GMTTA cutting the strings of Ivan and Claud at a distance (but in the same hex) and Wanda (linked with Maggie for the thinkamancy element she was lacking) using the arkenpliers to remotely (from many hexes away) cut the "prisoner string" that held Lillith tied to her captor (Charlie), repatriating her.
Of those 3, the first two are cutting the "life string". The third one was cutting the "prisoner string". So I'm not sure if they work the same way, but that would be my guess.

As an aside note, the other "string cutting" related both to the "life string" and "prisoner string" I can think of are
* when someone croaks in battle, they get their "life string" cut by someone/something (arrows/rocks/volcanos, etc.) in the same hex (even though the arrow or volcano was triggered from a different hex)
* when someone gets repatriated ("prisoner string" cut) by stacking with an allied unit (I'm assuming you have to be on the same hex to stack with someone)

Those two can be performed by non-casters (croaking someone or stacking with a prisoner) and would be some kind of "natural thinkamancy" to be able to cut those strings.


My other guess regarding a State 7 is that they would be able to manipulate "any" string in the hex (the way they can cut a "life string" at a distance) meaning they don't need to be "directly attached" to the string they are manipulating/cutting or that they are somehow attached to "every" string in the hex while in a State 7.

Writing this gave me the chills if somehow the Arkendish can replicate that power of the State 7 and Charlie can manipulate/cut any string in the hex he is in. I'd guess he even doesn't have that power or doesn't know he has it, or he would have use it against Lillith when she was pointing a gun at his head. But if he somehow discovers that power, it would be really difficult to attack him since he could potentially cut the "life string" of any enemy unit entering his hex.
Xellos wrote:
Heffenfeffer wrote:
Eh, getting old beats the alternative.

Getting young?

Suddenly stopping getting old, and then being put in a pine box wearing your best suit.
You're getting old beats? For alternative rock?

Well, that's better than sick beats... https://youtu.be/svYtYMPlMNY?t=6m50s

(I'll just go join The Panda who "eats leaves, and shoots" now :-)