Book 3 - Page 8

Book 3 - Page 8
Comic - Book 3 - Page 8
Recent posts... (See full thread)
drachefly wrote:
Umm, if you promote to heavy, you get a live dwagon on the ground. This is clearly a good thing.
Yeah, the only Dwagons they needed to Harvest were the ones with Commanders on them, because they can't be promoted to Heavies.
Also, I think promoting to Heavy also gets you a live RIDER on the ground. Because Parson wasn't hurt when he tried to ride Bannana down from the wall-top.
If decryption "resets" a character to a more free-willed, possibly even a non-fated character, I'm thinking that Jillian's soon to croak and be decrypted.

Reading early books, it just seems like the push for Ansom and Jillian to be together is too strong for that to be unresolved by losing Ansom permanently (unless there's some Joss Whedon in the author :D ). And Jillian in her present state is too... unstable with most of her memories removed. I could see a free-willed Jillian and Ansom realizing the game's rigged so everyone loses eventually, and decide to help Parson generate the "win condition" needed to return Erf to a non-war state.

Still not sure about Stanley... he's a popular character due to his idiot savant competence and character growth, but is anyone seeing anything that would be unresolved with his loss, other than the question of Saline IV?
Also don't forget that every living troop equals one more unit after croak, if they croaked in the fall, and be decrypted, that means one chance, then dusting. Essentially you get two units for the price of one, except you cannot use them at the same time.
0beron wrote:
drachefly wrote:
Umm, if you promote to heavy, you get a live dwagon on the ground. This is clearly a good thing.
Yeah, the only Dwagons they needed to Harvest were the ones with Commanders on them, because they can't be promoted to Heavies.
Also, I think promoting to Heavy also gets you a live RIDER on the ground. Because Parson wasn't hurt when he tried to ride Bannana down from the wall-top.

Parson was hurt though. He got scraped up. Which means he just got lucky.
El_Chupacabra wrote:
If decryption "resets" a character to a more free-willed, possibly even a non-fated character...

There's no particular reason to think that this is so, though, is there? In the case of Jack, it was simply that the terms of his NDA expired when he croaked.
Lipkin wrote:
Parson was hurt though. He got scraped up. Which means he just got lucky.


Without details of the game system erfworld uses we don't know that for sure. Both Jack and Wanda survived harvesting their mounts in mid air, and I would guess that Parson is tougher than Jack (again, no details on the system).

Let me use D&D as a reference point. Several editions cap falling damage at 20d6. Mean roll being 3.5 per die means an average fall of over 200' does 70 damage. The average fighter with no constitution bonus gets 5.5 hp per level. Mean hp for a 13th level fighter is then 71.5 hp.

Therefore, your average 13th level fighter has a better than 50% chance of survival of a fall from any height. Add a + 2 con bonus and 3 levels (mean 120 hp) and you can go skydiving without a parachute because you feel like it.

tldr; we have no way of knowing how much luck was involved until we know how much damage can be done relative to how much damage Parson can take.
This last section is bugging me:
"2. If no heir, side freezes and field units disband, like heir was killed, BUT...ruler might escape or be released. If fugitive ruler returns to one of their cities, the ruler is repatriated and the side is restored, but disbanded units do not return."

compare to the start of Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 068:

"“What do I say?” exclaimed the Overlady, “I say, that is your proof!”

She pointed at Lady Firebaugh with a stiff right arm, her other arm tugged along by the iron cuff. “A monster! She knows how many units we have in the field right now. She‘d condemn them all to depop without a second thought, just to make herself a little more secure?”"

Was the Olive lying? and if so should not everybody have known that... she was both Overlady and Captive . . . so anybody who was going to depop had already depoped. It seams ... unlikely... that the entire court of FAQ missed that blatant a lie. Also her Natural allies still moved and there were actively worried about her summoning her troops from the field in that story. *Jillian staying nearby to end the overlady in the event that any damage was taken to the walls. The 'side' did not freeze, unless the High Elves did not really count as being on her side.


Clarification?
polyglot wrote:
This last section is bugging me:
"2. If no heir, side freezes and field units disband, like heir was killed, BUT...ruler might escape or be released. If fugitive ruler returns to one of their cities, the ruler is repatriated and the side is restored, but disbanded units do not return."

compare to the start of Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 068:

"“What do I say?” exclaimed the Overlady, “I say, that is your proof!”

She pointed at Lady Firebaugh with a stiff right arm, her other arm tugged along by the iron cuff. “A monster! She knows how many units we have in the field right now. She‘d condemn them all to depop without a second thought, just to make herself a little more secure?”"

Was the Olive lying? and if so should not everybody have known that... she was both Overlady and Captive . . . so anybody who was going to depop had already depoped. It seams ... unlikely... that the entire court of FAQ missed that blatant a lie. Also her Natural allies still moved and there were actively worried about her summoning her troops from the field in that story. *Jillian staying nearby to end the overlady in the event that any damage was taken to the walls. The 'side' did not freeze, unless the High Elves did not really count as being on her side.


Clarification?

I think you accidentally posted in the wrong section.
And to answer your question - Out of my memory I have an explanation ready:
Natural allies do not count as units of your side. That is very likely IMO, since they are "allies" and even have their own treasury. Also they can negotiate and break alliance without knowledge or consent of "their" side, as Jillian showed us.

EDIT: I just noticed that this only explains the attacking troops but not what Olive said.
Yes what Olive said about her units in the field only makes sense as a blatant lie. I think the capture rules for rulers (what a sentence) might simply not be part of the instinctive knowledge Erfworld units are born with and must be specifically researched (Parsons klog implies research in the library). And I doubt the philosophical court of FAQ had much interest in combat specific rules - and Jillian strikes me as somebody who prefers a "final" solution to enemy rulers.
Malfallax wrote:

I think you accidentally posted in the wrong section.

Which section should I have posted to? I am new to posting here. I thought 'reaction: this is mine' but where aught I have posted my remarks?
polyglot wrote:
Malfallax wrote:

I think you accidentally posted in the wrong section.

Which section should I have posted to? I am new to posting here. I thought 'reaction: this is mine' but where aught I have posted my remarks?


Yes, but this is reactions to page 8 - you need to go to reactions to page 9 ;)