Book 3 - Page 55

Book 3 - Page 55
Comic - Book 3 - Page 55
Recent posts... (See full thread)
I hope there's some action soon. We're seeing a lot of vaguely promising setup with Parson's crew since the return from hiatus but not much real plot advancement. It seems like establishing that there are still a lot of MK casters who resent Parson's violation of MK neutrality (did this even need to be reinforced?) and that Jojo has come to see Parson again could have taken, like, 2 panels rather than needing a whole page just for this.
Oh come on. A Page to say, "Things are not O-K at the Ranch" is not a waste! And it couples with Jojo making an untimely appearance, as he is wont to do! I'd say this is a page well used.

(And there is a new chapter of Strongman the Barbarian I whipped up in a few hours time. I may be able to make another tonight if my SotE editing doesn't take too long.)
I wonder if the MK casters are aware and wary of the possibility that GK units might ambush and croak them if they're alone.

Unlike units of a side, if a barbarian croaks, there is no easy way for other barbarians to know it. I'm fairly sure that Parson can rustle up a stealthy and ambush-capable unit or stack for the express purpose of 'recruiting' MK casters.

I wonder also if there is such a thing in Erfworld as a Bag of Holding, for putting corpses in and taking to Wanda for decryption.
Polvane the eraser wrote:
I wonder if the MK casters are aware and wary of the possibility that GK units might ambush and croak them if they're alone.

Unlike units of a side, if a barbarian croaks, there is no easy way for other barbarians to know it. I'm fairly sure that Parson can rustle up a stealthy and ambush-capable unit or stack for the express purpose of 'recruiting' MK casters.

Probably. And I'm sure that won't escalate things significantly when they inevitably get caught. Not to mention the fact that the story probably introduced these MK tensions specifically to limit Parson's options for caster links.

Polvane the eraser wrote:

I wonder also if there is such a thing in Erfworld as a Bag of Holding, for putting corpses in and taking to Wanda for decryption.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. The closest things are resizing and hat magic.
This talk of thinkamancers and links and such has me wondering - are we sure that there's no way to link more than three casters together?

I mean, a thinkamancer is the main element that links the other two, in a tri-mancer link. Why not use a thinkamancer to link two tri-mancer linkups, hooking together a total of seven casters (three of them thinkamancers)? If that breaks a rule, then perhaps a carnymancer's involvement might be needed.

If this worked, linked groups could be combined to encompass every discipline of Erfworld's magic system - would this then make it possible to cast Titanic magic, when given enough of a reserve of juice to work with?

This might not work at all. I'm not even sure where it was said that only three casters max can share a link, or what the reason given was. But it would be pretty awesome if Parson decided to fool around with creating the single most powerful magic link that Erfworld has ever seen, and linked several casters to perform Titanic magic. Imagine what Jack, Ace, Wanda, and Sizemore could do with Maggie and two more thinkamancers to allow them to cast together.
Polvane the eraser wrote:


I wonder also if there is such a thing in Erfworld as a Bag of Holding, for putting corpses in and taking to Wanda for decryption.



Well there is such thing as foolmancy to sneak bodies in, and they have a dirtamancer to hide the bodies. Yes other casters such as lookamancers could detect it, but they would need to be actively looking. GK just needs to be very carefull about when and where they do it, and they could store a sudden surprise army.
totalnerduk wrote:
This might not work at all. I'm not even sure where it was said that only three casters max can share a link, or what the reason given was. But it would be pretty awesome if Parson decided to fool around with creating the single most powerful magic link that Erfworld has ever seen, and linked several casters to perform Titanic magic.


In this comic, Sizemore said "Four can't even be done," although he did not say why not or how not. I always figured it was due to the increase in link fragility.

That said, it would be cool if Parson or his allies could push the envelope there. My best counteroffer is this comic, with the description of how to create the army men. It specifies that they came from a link-up of Ace, Isaac, and Jack, and it says that their Scouting ability came from Lookamancy, which came from Isaac. This means that there were only 3 casters, but there were 4 disciplines in the mix.

I wasn't a forumite when that episode was published, so did anyone guess how that was possible? Whichever way, it's intriguing.

Of course, it probably has limits. Maybe a 4th discipline can only come from a Master-class caster. Maybe there have to be at least two Masters (Isaac and Jack, in this case). Maybe the 4th discipline has to be in the same class as its contributor's initial discipline. Maybe the 4th discipline can only come from the Thinkamancer. Or any of the above.

Nonetheless, it's still a cool line of thought.
It was at the start of the book. First was a link between Isaac and Ace to make a camera, which evidently grants the Scout special. Then there was a link between Ace and Jack to make the stealth golem. Maggie coordinated the link both times IIRC.

They can still make stealth golems without Isaac, but they need a lookamancer to make more scout-special granting items.

I wish they would've kept the link going. Maybe see if they could make a trap laying golem, or portable pit digger or something.
Soval wrote:
They can still make stealth golems without Isaac, but they need a lookamancer to make more scout-special granting items.

Well, huh. Yeah, that'd cover it.

Soval wrote:
I wish they would've kept the link going. Maybe see if they could make a trap laying golem, or portable pit digger or something.

I was gonna say "the link isn't undone yet, maybe they can still make that stuff" but the new update has them almost at the Thinkamancer Temple, so all I can say is "darn." Rob did the Pokémon shout-out in the Haffaton battle, but I wonder if he would ever be willing to revisit it. I think a Diglett or a Dugtrio would be the cutest golem ever.

Bonus points: Sizemore is fed up with Parson. Ace's respect for Parson is on the rise, if anything. And Maggie is "[Parson's] entirely." If that link lasts a bit longer, do you think it might cause Sizemore to mellow out? or even worse, might cause Ace to distrust Parson?
Brother Mirtillo wrote:
totalnerduk wrote:
This might not work at all. I'm not even sure where it was said that only three casters max can share a link, or what the reason given was. But it would be pretty awesome if Parson decided to fool around with creating the single most powerful magic link that Erfworld has ever seen, and linked several casters to perform Titanic magic.


In this comic, Sizemore said "Four can't even be done," although he did not say why not or how not. I always figured it was due to the increase in link fragility.


It seems to me that what you're running up against is the limits of what even a master-class Thinkamancer, or any other caster, can coordinate. The Erfworld unit's (human) mind can only encompass so much. I'd also say that, even if it worked at any level at all, it's almost guaranteed that you won't be able to get the original casters back again, regardless of whether it works.

If a four-caster link is even theoretically possible, it would probably only be possible using the power of the Arkendish. And I don't think Charlie would take the massive risk of including himself in such a linkup, nor would he trust any four other casters with the Arkendish long enough to let them try on their own (and you'd probably need someone attuned to the Arkendish to try in any case).

Of course, it's conceivable that other Arkentools may be able to facilitate a four-way linkup. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Arkenhammer could be used that way? Good luck trying to coach Stanley through whatever would be required!