Book 3 - Page 311

Feeling lower than zero

Book 3 - Page 311
Comic - Book 3 - Page 311
Recent posts... (See full thread)
Ad Archons and magic Hats: I imagine all Archons with sufficiently high rank+need have them and that CC has a (reasonable, i.e. much smaller than the number of Archons) reserve. Perhaps one hat per one part of the world CC operates in, one for 40, one for each FFFer, maybe some special cases... Charlescomm doesn't run a delivery service, so hats for all or even most Archons are impractical; not to mention enough sides probably have their own. On the other hand, if anyone wants to hat something in to Charlie directly, it's useful to have one at hand.

kaylasdad99 wrote:
greycat wrote:
... but that's not how half lives work... it's an exponential decay... there are infinitely many... :geek:
But when it comes to practical cases, five is how many can elapse before you can consider the remainder insignificant.

Not when you're dealing with a lethal dose x32.
Also, fun fact about radioactive decay: if you constantly watch it happen, it slows down. It's called Quantum Zeno effect.
Xellos wrote:
On the other hand, if anyone wants to hat something in to Charlie directly, it's useful to have one at hand.

Yeah, that was one of my initial thoughts. Find a gold nugget or other valuable object, ship it home.

Now it occurs to me that Bonnie was probably the one who would receive all this stuff, weed out anything unwanted or dangerous, and store and index the rest. Charlie wouldn't handle that himself for many reasons, even if he had a working body, and he wouldn't even want the sorting to be done anywhere near him (Dirtamancy traps, Flower Power airborne poison traps, etc.). Having it done on Level 40 which is designed to securely accomodate visitors is probably reasonable.
twhitt wrote:

This relates back to the hat magic a bit. I think the hats have no clear metaphor in the digital realm, so they're probably outside the dish's power to spy on. Sure, Charlie could likely carny any specific hat in his possession, or that of a linked caster. A carnied hat is potentially vulnerable, but when would he have had a chance to do that to GK's specifically?


A hat is a datagram socket. It is an endpoint for communication, and can talk to any other endpoint for communication. It has all the flaws as a communications system that the Berkeley socket API has as a communication system.

Jade wrote:

While I admit it would've been cool to see Caesar's choker turned into a bunch of coins that just fell to the ground, I assume there's a reason Benny didn't. It could be too risky a move to Cast in front of someone that can croak your Ruler and end your Side. Or maybe the pendant isn't one of those high quality items that can be directly converted?

I mean at the time TV wasn't exactly made of money, so why would his pendant be? :P


Even if it has no value, as anyone that has read "Harry Potter and The Natural 20" knows, you can get away with zero gold piece transformations until the GM changes the rules.
Anomynous 167 wrote:

Ivan seems like the kind of guy that'd be familiar with the Source Language. He might use it when he feels like he needs to blow off some Steam. Given how the engineer managed to get it to power Charlescomm, one could even coin it the Source Engine. Although Charlie left him 4 dead after his initial half life expired when the Thinkamancers croaked him in the Charlie Team's fortress. Of course this all happened after Claud turned Ivan into a Freeman.


Uuuhhh ...

You left out the obvious "portal" reference.

Anomynous 167 wrote:

Q)Why doesn't Half Life 3 Exist?

A) Because an object can have only a maximum of two half lives.

Radioactive decay would like to have a word with you.

Edit: ninja'd on the next page. Of course.
greycat wrote:
Xellos wrote:
On the other hand, if anyone wants to hat something in to Charlie directly, it's useful to have one at hand.

Yeah, that was one of my initial thoughts. Find a gold nugget or other valuable object, ship it home.

If it's small enough to send by hat, why not put it in your pocket and hat it off later when it's time to meet with the designated hatter for your sector? Besides, these situations are probably rare even for regular armies (outside of farming ruins) and Archons are mostly moving around and providing battle support or recon, they aren't Boy Scouts... uh, Girl Scouts cleaning up forests.

greycat wrote:
Now it occurs to me that Bonnie was probably the one who would receive all this stuff, weed out anything unwanted or dangerous, and store and index the rest. Charlie wouldn't handle that himself for many reasons, even if he had a working body, and he wouldn't even want the sorting to be done anywhere near him (Dirtamancy traps, Flower Power airborne poison traps, etc.). Having it done on Level 40 which is designed to securely accomodate visitors is probably reasonable.

For regular stuff, sure. But from time to time, it may be that a Ruler wants to send to Charlie directly and wouldn't take well to "yeah, one of my girls will handle that, thx" or something urgent comes up. Receiving regular items might be side duty of some other garrison archon(s) with a hat, not necessarily Bonnie.
The 'dish can read motivations on some level, so screening for danger is partly handled by that.

Can dangerous stuff even be sent by hat? This seems like a huge hack: make a "random send" hat and 100 bombs...
The person on the receiving end doesn't seem to have the knowledge of what's sent until receiving, after all.
greycat wrote:
... but that's not how half lives work... it's an exponential decay... there are infinitely many... :geek:


After seven half lives less than 1% remains. This is usually close enough to zero for most purposes.
Found a bit on hats. From book 2 epilogue:
Quote:
Bunny handled most of their communications, but the black leather cap was necessary for receiving items, especially the occasional gem.

So, they can definitely send things other than gems and messages.
keybounce wrote:
Anomynous 167 wrote:

Ivan seems like the kind of guy that'd be familiar with the Source Language. He might use it when he feels like he needs to blow off some Steam. Given how the engineer managed to get it to power Charlescomm, one could even coin it the Source Engine. Although Charlie left him 4 dead after his initial half life expired when the Thinkamancers croaked him in the Charlie Team's fortress. Of course this all happened after Claud turned Ivan into a Freeman.


Uuuhhh ...

You left out the obvious "portal" reference.

I don't think so. If you're talking about Claud and Ivan being "still alive" (and doing science towards the Portal Collumn), then the pair of them can't really count as still alive since they croaked in the mean time ("Still" implies there was no period where they weren't alive).

Unless you're talking about Isaac being still alive (contrary to Charlie's reckoning). I mean some science has gotten done, and we've made some neat puns involving the people who were still alive. Now that Isaac is tink(er)ing with portals.


However we must remember it is the minds who started it, causing Charlie to launch his Counter Strike, planting the bomb underneath the temple. It was only then that the Minds bit de Dust.
kaylasdad99 wrote:
One Shmucker is the going rate for pointing out a True Fact, right?
Well, i hope it was, otherwise i just wasted my tip. ;)
JadedDragoon wrote:
greycat wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Panel 1 -- no chain
Panel 2 -- chain shows visible from let hand to Ceaser's neck.

Not a Retcon, but worth adding before the official paper book comes out?

I figure it's the same as how Skyy's tattoos keep vanishing and reappearing. This art team seems to have chosen not to draw certain things if they would be too small, but instead to rely on the reader's memory to fill in those details.


I, for one, am fine with this. I just chalk it up to being another part of erfworld's art style.

Kinda like Sizemore's Schrodinger pants?