Book 3 - Page 194

Don’t say “tinker,” it’s our word

Book 3 - Page 194
Comic - Book 3 - Page 194
Recent posts... (See full thread)
Crisco wrote:

Or, y'know, instead of being an arrogant cockbag about it, we could quote something we're referencing in the discussion. The original post might as well have said "...and I said, that's not my car, it's your dog! AHAHAHAHAHA!" and the level of context would've been roughly the same.


For the record, I got the iPhone headjack joke immediately. It wasn't a joke that everyone was going to get, but that's OK.
HardeHenkert wrote:
Dame_Hanalla wrote:
My take is, Shockamancy (afaik) is mostly unrefined magic/energy being tossed around, as exemplified by:
- Non-directed juice stored in a tower will come out as Shockamancy;
- Falls and lightning are both forms of Natural Shockamancy;
- Casters of all disciplines can apparently shoot some form of Shockamancy, as pure-energy blasts.


Well, there's more to it. From what we know about Ivan's changes and construction-work to Charlie's Tower, we can deduce that Shockmancy provides some form of electricity. Ivan's work did more than just build and redesign a tower, it also helped put in an electricity network (over the course of several turns) that helped 'power' the Arkendish. Charlie opted not to repair his tower (and the electricity network) after it was destroyed by Lilith's nuke, because he didn't have the know-how of repairing the electricity-part of the tower. He's currently waiting for Ivan to get a crack at it again.

At first, shockmancy was indeed introduced to be similar to the evoker playstyle of wizards/sorcerers (fireball, lightningbolt, sonic boom, etc.), but especially electricity seems key here. I'd imagine a dirtamancer-shockmancer link-up to provide buildings that can generate electricity like powerplants or solar-panels or something.

And if history tought us anything, control of elements of power (fire, water, electricty, air-pressure etc.) gives birth to technological opportunities and advancement. That would probably (partly) explain Charlie's military theme and why he looks like an industrial/military power in a fantasy-world of magic. He controls one of the harder elements to master and it allowed him more control over the 'Dish that an 'unshocked' connection would give him.

Forgive my rambling, what started as a mere addition to your point turned into a bit of a brainstorm in my head. :mrgreen:

Shockmancy has also been shown to govern all things which are "shocking." The sudden stop at the end of a fall. Being flashed by a stack of Archons. Even as far back as Book One, the Shockmancy scroll used by Sizemore was implied to have a "horrify" effect on top of the explosion. Also in Book Zero, FAQ's Shockmancer is a depraved pervert known for his "shockingly" bad behavior.
Dante wrote:
Also in Book Zero, FAQ's Shockmancer is a depraved pervert known for his "shockingly" bad behavior.

Though that may have just a really long setup to him yelling "Peep at you!" during the climax...
greycat wrote:
Crisco wrote:

Or, y'know, instead of being an arrogant cockbag about it, we could quote something we're referencing in the discussion. The original post might as well have said "...and I said, that's not my car, it's your dog! AHAHAHAHAHA!" and the level of context would've been roughly the same.


For the record, I got the iPhone headjack joke immediately. It wasn't a joke that everyone was going to get, but that's OK.

Of course some people are going to get it anyway, they're already in on the other half of the joke (in this case, the lack of a headphone jack). That doesn't excuse his response only existing to be a 'one rule' violation. If your only reason for posting is to be a jerk, maybe rethink posting and just don't do it.

Ozamataz Buckshank wrote:
Dante wrote:
Also in Book Zero, FAQ's Shockmancer is a depraved pervert known for his "shockingly" bad behavior.

Though that may have just a really long setup to him yelling "Peep at you!" during the climax...

I don't see any reason it couldn't serve both purposes. I mean, it still sets a precedent for us to know what we should expect from Shockamancers in the future, it just ALSO made a perfect device for the joke too.
Templar wrote:
Skull the Troll wrote:
Templar wrote:

I live on the East Coast, so normally the update is up before I hit the hay. Yesterday's was an exception. I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.


Just that the definition of late is 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) Mondays/Fridays. If it was up by then then it is on time Q.E.D. You seem to be making the argument that it has been late, when it has not. Given that you live on the east coast you could safely assume that the update day is Tuesdays/Saturdays at 12:00 AM Eastern and you would be always correct as to if it was late.


Your Q.E.D. would be a whole lot less wrong if you had read what I actually wrote, which was "I am not complaining that I didn't get to read my Monday update until Tuesday because it went up after I went to bed." At no point did I assert it was actually late. In fact, at no point have I complained about the time the strip went up.


Ok I'm wrong. As I now understand it your post is about how you want the strip to be up before you personally go to bed and wrote in because up untill now the update has been early allowing you to read it on Mondays rather than on the day it is promised to be there by if you are to pay your dollar, which is not a pittance, but a significant sum, but otherwise is free. I'm all caught up.
Crisco wrote:
That would make for some interesting consequences, but your line also got me thinking: what happens if you try to sign two contracts with contradictory terms? Let's say you're under an NDA, or an agreement to be bound to alliance with a side, or something similar. Then, you try to sign another contract that directly contradicts the original? A step further: what if you sign a similarly self-contradictory contract? CAN you do either/both of those things at all?


How about this as a way to disable Charlie's abuse:
Sign an NDA with your own side not to take action against your side's interests.

Suddenly, you can't sign an NDA with Charlie that would let him manipulate you.

EDIT:
abb3w wrote:
On the other hand, the term "qualified" seems... odd. Almost Charliescomm Bureaucratic nondescriptively ambiguous. It leaves me wondering if it was introduced as part of a long-term setup for Parson to have a military effort in the Magic Kingdom prove an "unqualified success".


Boo. Have a shmucker. Boo.

EDIT 2:
Diodri wrote:
If Parson, Don King, Tramenis, and Jillian all are able to ally against Charlie, then I'll finally see the Men (and Jillian) of the West(ern conflict) join together at the city of Gone Door and fight the final war against the Wizard (of two towers) and his evil Eye.

I mean Dish.


That was even better; shmucker for you as well.
Now that I think of it, the real reason one does not simply walk into More Door, is because you have to open it first.
Anomynous 167 wrote:
Now that I think of it, the real reason one does not simply walk into More Door, is because you have to open it first.

So that's why the "hold portal" spell exists, to keep people from walking into More Door, without first turning it into Gone Door.

(sorry, it's late and past my bedtime)
keybounce wrote:
Anomynous 167 wrote:
Now that I think of it, the real reason one does not simply walk into More Door, is because you have to open it first.

So that's why the "hold portal" spell exists, to keep people from walking into More Door, without first turning it into Gone Door.

(sorry, it's late and past my bedtime)


It's why you have Polymorph Any Object to make a door ajar.
So this is the page that first appeared after I left. I must say that I'm impressed with Ace. He really did his best to make an appropriate appeal to Claud. Played every card he had and then went in hard when all else failed. I can see how this led to Claud getting killed. It started a chain of events that was not all convenient for the Great Minds and that's why they cut their strings at a distance. No one even knows they're dead. The bodies will depop at the start of turn. Shame they couldn't get the wonky wrench and weapons though, but they didn't want the rockers knowing that people could dig through bedrock including, I assume, Sizemore. Also, when we see the rockers later on, we never saw Digdoug which makes me sad...