Book 3 - Page 187

Ace is wild

Book 3 - Page 187
Comic - Book 3 - Page 187
Recent posts... (See full thread)
CarniDollMancer wrote:

I... cannot hear Jed saying 'dawg'... The gist of what you say is true, but he would more likely use some islandy phrase than that.


Haha, yes of course, it was my personal Signamancy creeping in.
David Hunt wrote:
Nightseraph wrote:
Archons gain specials as they level, but they have a massive upkeep cost and other then that seem like knights without the extra armour or weapons.
Is there any other example of a unit having a special it didn't pop with?


Yeah, Stanley is perhaps the ur-example of how this works. He acquired new Specials through promotion. He was promoted from Piker to Warlord, then the Chief Warlord. He was then promoted to Heir. After Saline croaked, he got the new special that all Heirs do when their Ruler croaks: he acquired the Ruler special. Parson's foodfight strategy at Spacerock was immediately preceded by promoting as many of the dragon riders to heavy units that were eligible so that they'd gently land on the ground instead of falling to reduce casualties. Parson promoted himself from garrison to infantry, presumably granting himself a Move stat.

But as to units that gain new specials just by leveling? I don't know of any. Maybe skanks, but that's because they seem much like archons in their functions.


Thats food for thought. I wonder if there is a ruler order that Stanley can give that allows him to spend shmuckers on a rifle special for his units. Knight promotion, heavy promotions, warlord and heir promotions and in my headcanon chief warlord promotions all cast shmuckers.
Einherjar wrote:
I mean the Tool also learned how to use a musical instrument by Jed.


Stanley already knew how to Rock Out (some form of Rhyme-o-mancy?) using the Arkenhammer. I got the impression that he already knew how to play a guitar, and was simply transferring his skill to play basic chords on the smaller ukulele. It's not clear to me whether this actually increased his skill in Rocking Out or Rhyme-o-mancy.
Nightseraph wrote:
Thats food for thought. I wonder if there is a ruler order that Stanley can give that allows him to spend shmuckers on a rifle special for his units. Knight promotion, heavy promotions, warlord and heir promotions and in my headcanon chief warlord promotions all cast shmuckers.

Hm. Stanley also has the Arkenhammer; which appears to have some Rhyme-a-mancy related abilities in its capability to rock out; which, like Carnymancy, is one of the Stagemancy disciplines. Maybe he can pound a new special into them with the Arkenhammer?
I don't think we've ever explicitly seen a Chief Warlord promotion cost shmuckers. I always assumed it didn't, since I figured we would have seen Stanley complaining about having to constantly spend money to keep re-promoting Hamster, but it could just as easy cost a low to moderate amount and it was never relevant enough to mention.
Diodri wrote:
I don't think we've ever explicitly seen a Chief Warlord promotion cost shmuckers. I always assumed it didn't, since I figured we would have seen Stanley complaining about having to constantly spend money to keep re-promoting Hamster, but it could just as easy cost a low to moderate amount and it was never relevant enough to mention.

I'm with you here. If it has a cost, it's almost certainly negligible, because that's never been mentioned from what I recall. However, we have been made aware of the morale implications of constantly shuffling CWLs, and informed that it was a major part in Stanley's decision not to immediately put Hamster back in charge early in book two. Outside of that, I don't think it has much 'cost' of any sort associated with it, if any.
Nightseraph wrote:
David Hunt wrote:
Nightseraph wrote:
Archons gain specials as they level, but they have a massive upkeep cost and other then that seem like knights without the extra armour or weapons.
Is there any other example of a unit having a special it didn't pop with?


Yeah, Stanley is perhaps the ur-example of how this works. He acquired new Specials through promotion. He was promoted from Piker to Warlord, then the Chief Warlord. He was then promoted to Heir. After Saline croaked, he got the new special that all Heirs do when their Ruler croaks: he acquired the Ruler special. Parson's foodfight strategy at Spacerock was immediately preceded by promoting as many of the dragon riders to heavy units that were eligible so that they'd gently land on the ground instead of falling to reduce casualties. Parson promoted himself from garrison to infantry, presumably granting himself a Move stat.

But as to units that gain new specials just by leveling? I don't know of any. Maybe skanks, but that's because they seem much like archons in their functions.


Thats food for thought. I wonder if there is a ruler order that Stanley can give that allows him to spend shmuckers on a rifle special for his units. Knight promotion, heavy promotions, warlord and heir promotions and in my headcanon chief warlord promotions all cast shmuckers.


No, I don't think that Stanley can just give an Order, spend money, and have a unit develop a new Special. I especially don't think he can do that with a Special that is entirely unknown, but I don't think he can do that in general. For example, he can't take some Stabber, spend money, and bestow Fabrication on that guy. There are set things that promotion via money can do, and I doubt that's one of them, so it's not a way get Units that can use the Rifles that Ace made.
David Hunt wrote:


No, I don't think that Stanley can just give an Order, spend money, and have a unit develop a new Special. I especially don't think he can do that with a Special that is entirely unknown, but I don't think he can do that in general. For example, he can't take some Stabber, spend money, and bestow Fabrication on that guy. There are set things that promotion via money can do, and I doubt that's one of them, so it's not a way get Units that can use the Rifles that Ace made.

If it were possible then Charlie could have done that instead of building weapon skill into his rifles. It would have made his weapons more secure since only his troops would be able to use the weapons, rather than any old schmoe. Actually, Charlie does just that with the machine guns, they specifically lack the built in special, so they must require regular old human training.

I'm left wondering if getting Parson back won't lead to him practicing with a rifle, getting the basics down and just training various units in how to do it. But, it looks like they'll just magic a solution.
Nightseraph wrote:
Is there any other example of a unit having a special it didn't pop with?


If it's a special granted by a Weirdomancer.

This is more speculative than my other answers, but we've seen that Jack's stats from the Glasses include a special of "Foola...". It might be that more specials are gained when some kind of proficiency (Adept etc) with a different branch of magic is learned. It might be that if Parson looked at Wanda with the glasses, she would have a very long stat block.

David Hunt wrote:
Maybe skanks, but that's because they seem much like archons in their functions.


Explicitly them (and Goyles), as mentioned in the Summer Updates.

David Hunt wrote:
No, I don't think that Stanley can just give an Order, spend money, and have a unit develop a new Special.


If Leadership is a special, then promoting a unit to Warlord gives them a special they didn't have before (so, a new special).
Ace would have a lot better chances of hitting that sack if he stopped shooting where it was, and start shooting where it's going to be.