Book 3 - Page 172

It had to be you

Book 3 - Page 172
Comic - Book 3 - Page 172
Recent posts... (See full thread)
Crisco wrote:
A ruler of a side with zero units is just as much a ruler as one with a thousand.


You're not a ruler if there's nothing to rule.....

Having said that, if a ruler loses everything and is on the run, they're barbarian, but not an heir, so are they still technically a ruler?

Looks like not, as per Wanda.
Lingo wrote:
When Goodminton fell, Wanda's sawhorse and stack of 7 uncroaked remained, while the rest of the "hundreds" of troops with her "vanished". http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+0/26 So she wasn't unitless.


Huh.

Why did units in the field depop? There was a ruler. They shouldn't have.
OneHugeTuck wrote:
Lingo wrote:
When Goodminton fell, Wanda's sawhorse and stack of 7 uncroaked remained, while the rest of the "hundreds" of troops with her "vanished". http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+0/26 So she wasn't unitless.


Huh.

Why did units in the field depop? There was a ruler. They shouldn't have.


As a barbarian she could only afford the uncroaked. Probably she had some control over what depopped but maybe Wanda accepted the default button.
OneHugeTuck wrote:
Crisco wrote:
A ruler of a side with zero units is just as much a ruler as one with a thousand.


You're not a ruler if there's nothing to rule.....

Having said that, if a ruler loses everything and is on the run, they're barbarian, but not an heir, so are they still technically a ruler?

Looks like not, as per Wanda.

Per Erf mechanics though, if you have a side, and are a ruler, that doesn't change even if literally every other unit on your side croaks. You can be a one unit side, so long as you have your capital. So, practically speaking, no, you're not a ruler, but Erf doesn't care about practicality anywhere near as much as it cares about its own rules.
Mad Humanist wrote:


As a barbarian she could only afford the uncroaked. Probably she had some control over what depopped but maybe Wanda accepted the default button.


But she was made heir before daddy croaked. So when he died, seems like the units in the field shouldn't have depopped.
I was re-reading Book 0 last night. During the trial, Wanda states that Haffaton "conquered" a number of sides, and she includes Faq in that list. The words "ended the side" may have also been used. She may have been speaking loosely, but it may be that Banhammer was technically no more a "Side" when Faq fell than Wanda was when Goodminton fell. (Didn't Marie predict that Haffaton would conquer Faq?) It also did later say that the only units Faq had left were casters (even though they also had the gwiffons).
Lingo wrote:
I was re-reading Book 0 last night. During the trial, Wanda states that Haffaton "conquered" a number of sides, and she includes Faq in that list. The words "ended the side" may have also been used. She may have been speaking loosely, but it may be that Banhammer was technically no more a "Side" when Faq fell than Wanda was when Goodminton fell. (Didn't Marie predict that Haffaton would conquer Faq?) It also did later say that the only units Faq had left were casters (even though they also had the gwiffons).


The problem (as stated earlier in the thread) is that Wanda turns to FAQ before FAQ captures the Emerald City. If FAQ only exists when they hold a city, there is no side for her to turn to. If FAQ can exist when they have no city, then by what mechanism can this be establish that doesn't get contradicted by both Wanda and Jillian going barbarian, at the ends of Book 0 Part 1 and (assumedly) the end of Book 0 Part 3 respectively?
Yeah...I got nothin'. I suppose you can pledge allegiance to a barbarian commander after all?
Maybe a Barbarian commander can only "side" with his/her stack?
Lingo wrote:
(Didn't Marie predict that Haffaton would conquer Faq?)


The problem with prediction is that you should really get the exact wording of them before drawing any conclusions. I am on the opinion that prediction was "Wanda will cause the end of FAQ". And that it was fulfilled only when she spurred Stanley into attacking FAQ. His jurney to the FAQ strongly smelled of Fate interventions - the unusual amount of dwagons he tamed along the way.

What exactly happend when Wanda took all FAQ cities remains a mystery. Maybe she overlooked one :D