Book 3 - Page 133

Tea and Syncope

Book 3 - Page 133
Comic - Book 3 - Page 133
Recent posts... (See full thread)
oslecamo wrote:
Before the MK casters were willing to play along with Hamster's promise of just going around.

Interesting. We seem to have read different comics...
Quote:
Seems like you missed the whole point of the MK population. They're the cowards who ran away from war, abandoning their own people to live in a realm of peace where at worst you just starve to death instead of living in constant fear of ambushes and backstabs.

If that were true they'd have probably been disbanded by their beleaguered rulers to save some much needed Shmuckers.
The vast majority were probably either
- popped as barbarians like Tisha or
- sent to the MK by their rulers before the side ended like Jojo, Roger Victor Clarence, A.V. Club or Digdoug or
- were in the MK when their side fell without warning like Marie, Pamelor or Isaak or
- let go by their ruler when they couldn't afford their upkeep anymore (not sure if there are any examples for that or
- released by their side for unknown reasons like Jintao

Empress Saltina seems to be a Special case being both ruler and Caster and out in the field when her capital fell.
Mirage GSM wrote:
oslecamo wrote:
Before the MK casters were willing to play along with Hamster's promise of just going around.

Interesting. We seem to have read different comics...

Indeed, and you seem to be the one in the wrong forum, since if you've actually read Erfworld, you would know that Marie is a predictmancer, and that being a predictmancer in the MK is as shameful as it gets, since they don't get to make any excuses like "Oh we were caught by surprise and then I was here on my own". Because Predictmancers predict. Thus every predictmancer in the MK either predicted their side's fall and ran away, or is really lousy at their job.

There are also this things called "loyalty" and "duty" in Erfworld, which make units fight to the bitter end for their faction. Even if their ruler orders them otherwise. Because a loyal leader with duty will refuse orders that clearly reduce their side's chances of victory/survival, and since mancers are pretty much the strongest units in Erfworld, any that didn't make a last stand for their side and went to live into the MK simply hadn't very strong loyalty neither sense of duty. Aka cowards, abandoning the non-mancer of their side that had nowhere safe to hide from Erfworld's eternal war.

And now Hamster's actions have brought war to the MK.

Anyway you should really read the comic before going into the forums discussions, it's pretty good overall.
A question popped into my head - where is Sizemore during all of this? Is he still living it up with the Hippies? (does anyone know)

Given the current 'under attack on all sides' situation, there's a reasonable probability that both sides - GK and CC are taken out by the neutrals. Yes, it's possible that the Hippies will wander in and pacify everyone with a 'Flower Power'. Or possibly even Sizemore surprises everyone with an earthen trapdoor that provides a cunning escape route.... has anyone suggested that Sizemore is 'in reserve' with a cunning plan to bail them out?

But now I think of it, I wonder if Rob is setting this up so that they are all immobilised, and then the next round of conflict is with the different factions arguing over what to do with them. (I hope not - it'd end up being a lot talking and arguing).

Brucester wrote:
A question popped into my head - where is Sizemore during all of this? Is he still living it up with the Hippies? (does anyone know)

Parson, Maggie, Sizemore and Ace returned to Spacerock when they got called back to deal with Wanda being in a trance. Parson dismissed Ace and Sizemore when it became clear Jack had something he wanted to say but wasn't comfortable saying in front of them.

Presumably, they wandered off to do something in Spacerock and are still there, unless Stanley has since ordered them back into the MK to help out.
oslecamo2 temp wrote:
Stuff.

First of all I'd much appreciate it if you kept your tone civil. There's no need for throwing accusations around.
For that matter, if my previous post felt like an accusation to you, apologies. It was not meant as such. I was merely pointing out that the scene where Parson is heading for the Spacerock Portal where he is blocked by a mob of angry casters and has to be protected by the great minds, Janis and Marie does not seem like the casters were previously "willing to play along". Parson brought the decrypted to the MK later the same turn, so it's not likely their stance much changed in the meantime.
Regarding Marie, we know there are multiple reasons why a Predictamancer would not predict an Event without being lousy. For example we know they "can't really predict" for Units without fate and they can't predict past certain future Events.
On the other Hand if a Predictamancer KNOWS a their side is going to fall, would it be cowardly to run away or would it be stupidly throwing their life away to make a last stand they KNOW will fail anyway?
As for Non-Predictamancer casters:
Is Digdoug a coward because his king ordered him taken to the MK before the side fell?
Is Wanda a coward because she was out in the field when her side fell
Are Jeff, Vanna and the other two Unaroyal casters cowards, because their queen ordered them to the MK so they wouldn't fall into GK's Hands?
We don't know the detailed backgounds of many casters of the MK, and we don't know the mechanics for a unit turning barbarian of their own accord. Until then I think labelling all barbarian casters cowards is premature at best.
Free Radical wrote:
Brucester wrote:
A question popped into my head - where is Sizemore during all of this? Is he still living it up with the Hippies? (does anyone know)

Parson, Maggie, Sizemore and Ace returned to Spacerock when they got called back to deal with Wanda being in a trance. Parson dismissed Ace and Sizemore when it became clear Jack had something he wanted to say but wasn't comfortable saying in front of them.

Presumably, they wandered off to do something in Spacerock and are still there, unless Stanley has since ordered them back into the MK to help out.

Thank you Free Radical for your quick response. Enjoy munching on your new Schmuckers. They are very healthy.
Xellos wrote:
It's certainly not the last resort here, more like second. GK hasn't been hostile to MK so far, it's that Parson has been under very real threat since the moment he set foot in MK. On the other hand, they can see that it's a fight between GK and CC; there's no confirmation that the Beans were killed by GK, they just jump on the Jojo bandwagon.

I think you've forgotten that Erfworld is not Stupidworld. And the Magic Kingdom even less so. Parsons very presence in the MK _is_ hostility toward the MK. Doesn't matter what his intentions or even his actions are. So long as he is there he is a threat to the perceived neutrality of the MK. And that neutrality is vital to free casters being able to pay their upkeep.

The only reason the various warlords and rulers of Erfworld are willing to hire free casters is because they know a free caster has only one allegiance... to schmuckers. But now the MK has two sides they could arguably be opposed to... GK and CC. So now every time Transilvito or another side in that region would hire a caster it's not just a question of whether or not they can pay enough to secure the loyalty of a free caster... but also a question of whether or not the free caster might have a hidden motive regarding GK and CC. And when news of this spreads to other sides throughout Erfworld there will be other sides wondering the same about their allies and enemies.

So this pitched battle that GK and CC just fought in the MK? It's equivalent to a WMD from the free caster's perspective. GK and CC just killed hundreds of free casters... and worse its more like a biological weapon than a nuclear device as those casters are going to be stuck watching whatever savings they have trickle away knowing that when it runs out they will have to make the long walk. At the very least that's what the casters fear is going to happen.

So yes... GK has engaged in hostility toward the MK. Boy have they.

Xellos wrote:
When did the free casters take the "GTFO as soon as they can" option or anything close, as opposed to the "get rid of the Warlord" option? Why not talk it out with Parson and make some rules on what to do in unprecedented situations, or even a Signed contract? And get him to accept the MK rules. It would've prevented all the Book 2 trouble. For all that talk of peace and neutrality, they are Erfworlders - made for war and ready for war.
>civilians
>every single living being in that world, and a lot of non-living ones, literally exist for war
pick one

Burn the MK to the fucking ground and salt the earth, I say.

GTFO to where? They can't move the Magic Kingdom. And so long as the battle takes place in the MK it is an attack on all free casters. Getting rid of the warlord was the only real way to avoid what has now happened. Now? Now maybe they just want vengeance. Maybe they hope if they push GK and CC out they can mitigate the harm that's already done. Bottom line is they are scared and there is no way to run or hide from the damage being done to the MKs perceived neutrality... they are essentially cornered.

Accept MK rules? Rule #1... no fighting. Rule #2... no non-casters allowed. Rule #3... absolutely no warlords allowed. Rule #4... absolutely absolutely no engaging in military operations of any kind in the MK.

These are rules that have been put to Parson repeatedly and he has ignored or outright rejected them every time. Parson has already shown he's not open to playing nice with the most basic and critical of the MK's rules.

They tried to talk it out with Parson. He wouldn't listen. He's essentially been driving around down town Magic Kingdom with a truck full of smallpox. And then he drove it right up to his enemy's embassy in the most threatening way possible. Surprise to surprise... the truck full of smallpox got blown up and now it's spreading through the MK. No one in Stupidworld world would consider talk an option at that point. And yes, Jojo's rhetoric is feeding into the abject terror the free casters are feeling right now... repeatedly telling them that GK is to blame for what has befallen them. And in a very real sense... GK _is_ responsible.

They have been living in fear of this outcome for what amounts to months in our time... and now it has happened. So now they are acting like the scared, cornered wielders of magic mayhem that they are.
The error icon. Could it mean that the game program is broken -- so that Wanda's bubble dissolving is an error as opposed to the actual action of Fate? In that case, things could get 'outside-the-matrix' level weird.
I'm guessing its a (partially) failed attempt of warning Wanda, on Jack's behalf. "Danger ahead" road sign was all he could do with the little time (and juice) they had left.
This situation has been brought about due to misinformation on the part of the Magic Kingdom denizens. The casters that initially attacked the GK stacks were farther away from the Event (when Charlie opened up through the portal, killing several GK troops as well as some innocent bystander MK denizens) and thus did not have a good enough view of the situation. All they saw was -something- going on with loud noises, then several MK free casters dead, then decrypted by GK. Jojo and the other Carnies then launched a propaganda campaign against MK, spreading half-truths and heavily implying that GK was to blame for this situation, thus the Free Casters attacked. Other Free Casters saw them attacking GK and naturally joined in as they assumed someone had been attacked by GK. The whole thing was a cascading domino effect.

This is the power of Carnymancy. They are adept at what Stupidworlders would call Information Warfare.

It should be noted that the Unpainted were witnesses to the entire process of the Event, from innocent bystander Free Casters getting killing by bullets fired by Charlescomm through the Charlescomm portal, to their subsequent decryption by Wanda and -did not react with hostility- If anything they seem to be channeling their energies in a kind of defensive posture....And it's Red Robed Raistlin...He's neutral and wanting to see how this is going to play out. As long as GK doesn't hurt him he won't hurt them. But Titans help whomever takes a potshot at him.