Book 3 - Page 128

Jacked into the cloud

Book 3 - Page 128
Comic - Book 3 - Page 128
Recent posts... (See full thread)
kiyote wrote:
Whispri wrote:
DrunkMonkGar wrote:
Mr Balder has stated that casters can only master disciplines within their native class. So for example Wanda can never master hat magic.

Ah, but Wanda's some sort of mega expensive chosen unit, things could easily be different for her.


Do you have the quote for this? I've seen no reason for this not to be true, but I've seen no reason for it _to_ be true, either.


While I don't agree with his contention, I suspect he's probably referring to this from Page 1 of Book 0:

Quote:
One day in the country of zero, someone paid a price. Somewhere in the great, infinite sheet of balance, a peak rose up.

Peaceful zeros became ones. Fives. Forty-eights. Agitated hundred-and-twelves. Angry sixty-three-seventy-nines.

The thousands piled up, far above the plane of equilibrium. The numbers rose as a column, into the millions and billions and more, a silver thread stretching up and away from the peace below.

This thread was being drawn up by the system of the world. Thinkamancers knew it as a "Grandiocosmic string." Its numbers were being shaped and guided by the firmament, by what magic theorists called the Erf Axis.

For when the price was paid, it was Erfworld which processed the transaction. The world would produce the unit that was called for...more or less. There was the matter of the Fate Axis as well, and this unit was turning out to be very special. This unit would be worth far more than the buyer had paid for.

That was no violation of Numbers, though. It simply meant that this unit carried a balance due. And though it was an astronomically high figure, someone would pay.

Zero always called, and someone would have to pay.
kiyote wrote:
Whispri wrote:
DrunkMonkGar wrote:
Mr Balder has stated that casters can only master disciplines within their native class. So for example Wanda can never master hat magic.

Ah, but Wanda's some sort of mega expensive chosen unit, things could easily be different for her.


Do you have the quote for this? I've seen no reason for this not to be true, but I've seen no reason for it _to_ be true, either.

Page one of part one of book zero. As you can see, Wanda is called out as something very special indeed.
kaylasdad99 wrote:
Olentzero wrote:
Beeskee wrote:
I'm super looking forward to the next update, and doing my best to not post limericks or stuff when I get bored lol


Posting limericks, you say? Oooh, dat's hot.
And you'd rather be bored? Surely not...
Put your skills to the test!
Let folks judge who's the best.
So c'mon, punk - let's see what you got.

Olentzero's the name, y'all can see.
And my game - well, that's Rhyme-o-mancy.
I enjoy spending time
Running circles in rhyme
'Round the fool who tries stepping to me.

So! The gauntlet's thrown down with a shout!
Epic rhyme war, or merely a rout?
Is Beeskee the bee's knee?
Is 'lent just a meanie?
Step right up! Place your bets! Let's find out...


A Limerick Battle, you say?
To kill time on New Update Day?
Turns out I’m a freak,
My Rhymes are unique,
Because I write limericks in free-verse, and am unbound by your dogmatic conventions.
Snowbody wrote:
dzScritches wrote:
Anyone else compulsively refreshing the home page?


Get an RSS reader that will alert you when the new item is posted.


Man, I read it as "Get a RSS Leader" that will alert you when a new item is popped. Parson really need one of those!
Chris Goodwin wrote:
Master as in become Master-class, but we also know that Wanda has learned, i.e. become Novice-class, in multiple disciplines outside of the school of Naughtymancy.

Absolutely. No mention was made of lesser skill levels, so a caster could theoretically be a triple master and an adept of the other 20 disciplines, assuming they weren't a Naughtymancer.
Whispri wrote:
Ah, but Wanda's some sort of mega expensive chosen unit, things could easily be different for her.

Exceptions may well exist, but the rule is as stated as far as I'm aware.
Ansan Gotti wrote:
kaylasdad99 wrote:
Speaking of Downfall, anybody want to try making a youtube of Hitler learning about how the Charlie Foxtrot is playing out?


I gave it a shot. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-EA8xQOf_s

EDIT: I tried posting this in the Community area, but it gives me an "unable to parse Youtube URL" error, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Does anyone know? Thanks!


I love it! Wonderful. But I have no smuckers to tip you.
Lawence of Awabia wrote:
kaylasdad99 wrote:
Olentzero wrote:


Posting limericks, you say? Oooh, dat's hot.
And you'd rather be bored? Surely not...
Put your skills to the test!
Let folks judge who's the best.
So c'mon, punk - let's see what you got.

Olentzero's the name, y'all can see.
And my game - well, that's Rhyme-o-mancy.
I enjoy spending time
Running circles in rhyme
'Round the fool who tries stepping to me.

So! The gauntlet's thrown down with a shout!
Epic rhyme war, or merely a rout?
Is Beeskee the bee's knee?
Is 'lent just a meanie?
Step right up! Place your bets! Let's find out...


A Limerick Battle, you say?
To kill time on New Update Day?
Turns out I’m a freak,
My Rhymes are unique,
Because I write limericks in free-verse, and am unbound by your dogmatic conventions.


Winter stretches on
Pages reloaded again
How has the art changed?
Heathen Power wrote:
shabranigudo wrote:
Been here since the beginning, first time ever posting just couldn't hold this one in. I wonder if back in Haffaton when Charlie looked at Jillian he saw she was destined to wield the Arkendish? I know it was the Healomancer's desire to scramble her, but could it be that he saw that and it freaked him out?


I wouldn't think fate would be so specific. Wanda was fated to wield an arkentool. She thought it was the hammer but it turned out to be the pliers. I do agree that it's very likely that Jillian was/is fated to wield an ankentool.

The units with bubbles might have fate caring for them but not in a positive way. For example Lilith might be fated to croak in the MK while Maggie might be fated to croak in a link up with a predictamancer. I hope they'll be okay but fate doesn't necessarily equal invulnerability.


Good point on that, plus Charlie has to use Tarot for Predictions, so he wouldn't be able to See that clearly at any rate. I would reiterate what I'm sure others have posted that the Jester inside her head was Fate's agent, and Charlie is always fighting fate it seems to be "the only enemy worth fighting"

Makes me wonder who is really pulling all these strings.........
shabranigudo wrote:

Makes me wonder who is really pulling all these strings.........

Probably something similar to what Jed used to be only at a much larger scale.
Whispri wrote:
kiyote wrote:
Whispri wrote:

Ah, but Wanda's some sort of mega expensive chosen unit, things could easily be different for her.


Do you have the quote for this? I've seen no reason for this not to be true, but I've seen no reason for it _to_ be true, either.

Page one of part one of book zero. As you can see, Wanda is called out as something very special indeed.



I think that IF that has meaning similar to your interpretation (I essentially agree) that doesn’t mean that Wanda is a special unit type, but that she is the only person there who has a fate (as it says repeatedly). Jillian is the first person of any substance that she meets.