Book 3 - Page 11

Book 3 - Page 11
Comic - Book 3 - Page 11
Recent posts... (See full thread)
multilis wrote:

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+2/63

Is there an archon in this hex? Lots of Jetstone warlords who would each have chance to see through foolomancy. And for either answer to above question, lots of variations on "why".

...

I need to talk to Charlie. I have lots of warlords in my capital, lots of chances to bust through any foolomancy spell of hidden archon in my capital. When I think hard, I get archon receptionist first. Is that archon receptionist in my hex... or in Charlie's hex? Is that receptionist a form of relay?


Remember the lots of preparation and Charlie being busy/unavailable for a long time?
There's still a chance that Charlie had to start the link-up before Vanna could enter Spacerock.
No definitive proof for either sides yet. But if an Archon is not needed for Charlie to initiate a remote link-up, I'm pretty sure they facilitate the process a lot.

A thinkagram is basic stuff, but an actual link-up is something else entirely.
Kaed wrote:
multilis wrote:

Is there an archon in this hex? Lots of Jetstone warlords who would each have chance to see through foolomancy. And for either answer to above question, lots of variations on "why".

...

I need to talk to Charlie. I have lots of warlords in my capital, lots of chances to bust through any foolomancy spell of hidden archon in my capital. When I think hard, I get archon receptionist first. Is that archon receptionist in my hex... or in Charlie's hex? Is that receptionist a form of relay?


... Over a dozen Archons, who can auto-spot veils, and who are hostile to Charlescomm, were in that hex. If there were any of Charlie's archons in that hex, the chances of them being spotted in the airspace would have been almost absolute certainty.

Further, Charlie was not, at that time, formally allied with Jetstone, so an Archon could not be hiding in the city proper without it being needlessly risky.

The receptionists ARE a form of relay, but it has been mentioned before that Charlie keeps a number of Archons in his inner circle. Those are likely the receptionists in question.

Maybe he just needs an archon nearby. Maybe he just needs one to initiate the link, but not one to maintain it. Jillian was in continuous contact up with them up until she got to Spacerock.

There weren't any Charlescomm units in spacerock, but there definitely were nearby. In fact, one such group did get caught.

Well, either way, I suppose we'll find out soon enough, assuming Charlie isn't already too late.
Knott wrote:
Ashendant wrote:
I think it was stated at one point that barbarian heirs can choose to bring back the side or not. Maybe it doesn't matter. The Deal of Lifetime certainly bounds charlie to the side called FAQ.


Shouldn't matter. Spin it around and you get "The Deal of Lifetime certainly bound the Unit called Jack to the ruler publicly known as Charlie".
The point was that the DoL lasted for a lifetime. Jack's life ended. And then it began anew, as in not the same lifetime, but a new one. Almost(?) exactly the same as the life he had.
FAQ lasted for its lifetime and then it ended. And then it began anew.

To Charlie; Jillian and FAQ is just a means to an end. To surviving FAQ prequel units; Charlie is a headache.


I actually agree that this is the most logical assumption given what we know. I brought up the idea just because I thought it was interesting and suggests a motive for Charlie beyond thwarting GK and Parson, not that he needs one.

However, we don't know the actual wording of the contract. Maybe 'Faq' was qualified in such a way that if it was restarted by an erstwhile ruler or heir of Faq, it would count as the same side. I'll admit that's complicated but imagine if the original Faq had fallen to some other side but Banhammer had escaped and had formed the side anew somewhere else. Wouldn't he still want the deal to apply so as to be protected from Charlie aiding his enemies?
Knott wrote:


Shouldn't matter. Spin it around and you get "The Deal of Lifetime certainly bound the Unit called Jack to the ruler publicly known as Charlie".
The point was that the DoL lasted for a lifetime. Jack's life ended. And then it began anew, as in not the same lifetime, but a new one. Almost(?) exactly the same as the life he had.
FAQ lasted for its lifetime and then it ended. And then it began anew.

To Charlie; Jillian and FAQ is just a means to an end. To surviving FAQ prequel units; Charlie is a headache.


This is assuming Sides count as "living".
Kaed wrote:
Further, Charlie was not, at that time, formally allied with Jetstone, so an Archon could not be hiding in the city proper without it being needlessly risky.


Not that I think there were archons hiding in Spacerock, but a city provides many places an archon could hide such that there would not be a noticeable number of commander eyes - inside any of those unused shops, say.
drachefly wrote:
Kaed wrote:
Further, Charlie was not, at that time, formally allied with Jetstone, so an Archon could not be hiding in the city proper without it being needlessly risky.


Not that I think there were archons hiding in Spacerock, but a city provides many places an archon could hide such that there would not be a noticeable number of commander eyes - inside any of those unused shops, say.


Actually, the decrypted Archon, Phoebe, did that at the end, didn't she? Not that I think an Archon is required in the hex in order for Charlie to link.

Speaking of said Archon, what happened to her? Wanda said none survived except for the captured one and she should know, but I don't remember a follow-up.
Davre wrote:


Actually, the decrypted Archon, Phoebe, did that at the end, didn't she? Not that I think an Archon is required in the hex in order for Charlie to link.

Speaking of said Archon, what happened to her? Wanda said none survived except for the captured one and she should know, but I don't remember a follow-up.


There was a throwaway line in the next comic right after the text update about how Slately had an item to see through the veils and was going to point them out for Ace to shoot down. So I'm pretty sure Phoebe got dusted soon after.

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+2/170
ftl wrote:
Davre wrote:


Actually, the decrypted Archon, Phoebe, did that at the end, didn't she? Not that I think an Archon is required in the hex in order for Charlie to link.

Speaking of said Archon, what happened to her? Wanda said none survived except for the captured one and she should know, but I don't remember a follow-up.


There was a throwaway line in the next comic right after the text update about how Slately had an item to see through the veils and was going to point them out for Ace to shoot down. So I'm pretty sure Phoebe got dusted soon after.

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+2/170


Thanks, that certainly clears it up.
She couldn't go inside, though. If she had landed (on her turn), she could have. That would have made it much harder.
Charlie wants to link up with Vana right now, and he doesn't have Archons there with her. Case closed, thnx.