Book 2 - Text Updates 024

Book 2 - Text Updates 024

Jetstone heavies crunched and pounded across the bridge. Wrigley stood with his stack.

He could see only heads: the faces of Battle Bears and G-RAFs looming above the gleaming helmets of his compatriots.

He felt no fear. Standing in an unled stack blessed him with a feeling of comfort, purpose, unity. Wrigley was one of many like him. To either side of him was another Stabber, spear held at the same ready angle as his own. The stack was subject to orders from the Commanders in other stacks in the hex, or from the capital. But in the absence of a Warlord stacked among them, the men calmly and wordlessly stood their ground in common understanding.

Captain Ford shouted orders, but they were not intended for Wrigley's stack, so he took no note. The cloth golems crashed into Captain Twenty's stack, and it looked to go badly, quickly. The enemy was torn by lances, but not one of those towering heavies fell. They trampled forward, crushing Gobwin Knob's units underfoot.

Over the tip of his black spear, Wrigley watched Captain Ford's final charge. Seeing the enemy's Chief ride in in a tankeroo, the Captain made a valiant play for him. Alas, he got nowhere close. Another stack of heavies engaged him first. An unmounted warlord took his leg at the knee. He managed to leave his sword in the side of an LFN, but then...it crushed him to dust.

They were truly alone, now. The stack decided as one. Charge!

The line moved. Wrigley's boots moved.

They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.

To charge to one's end was no futility. Futility was Wrigley's first life, croaked in the mud after doing nothing but drain his side's treasury turn after turn. Futility was his first spear, lying on the ground somewhere, having never pierced enemy flesh.

They engaged the nearest and weakest stack, an infantry squad with a Level 1 warlord.

But she was good. His comrades fell around him, perhaps three-to-one as they managed to take a few of the enemy's Stabbers. Wrigley pressed in to fill gaps as men fell before him. For a moment he stood in a bubble: of shouts, of the clacking of steel, of the heat of bodies...and counted himself a soldier at last.

He loved the Titans, and Wanda their Tool, for granting him this new life and this new spear. And though he had never yet used it, now he knew what he was for. His side was the Titan's side. They had raised him from the ground to use this spear just once.

And so he did.

Comic - Book 2  Text Updates 024

Recent posts... (See full thread)
Dancing Cthulhu wrote:

But it also depends on the number cities you have and what lv they are. Warlords (and thus casters) and heirs seem to only pop in the capital. In that case you can have all your other cities popping pikers and stabbers and what have you while the capital concentrates on command units until it has enough. The more cities you have the more troops you can be popping. And we saw this with Oss deciding to stop Dhrystone popping gumps in favor of popping infantry - in the time it took to pop 1 gump you could have popped about 27 basic infantry units. Presumably similar times apply to things like Megalogwiffs, which explains why Jillian didn't have any real ground forces beyond her 5 warlords and a handful of knights (promoted from the few stabbers she popped in the early days I assume).

From one of the text updates:

Gobwin Knob’s dominion had spread out far and wide, across a variety of terrain types, and Sizemore had seen quite a bit of it. Warlord Ansom and Lady Firebaugh had taken to razing cities which produced less useful unit types, and he would fly out by dwagon relay and rebuild on the ruins. This created a city that popped the same kinds of units the capital did: infantry and twolls for a Level One, plus spidews and warlords for a Level Two, and dwagons for a Level Three or more.


So warlords can be popped from regular towns.

Probbly only the heir can be popped from the capital, and it's extra expensive because it's a life insurance. If you die, your heir can continue your side, but whitout heir, the death of the leader means the total wipe of your faction.

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:

Quote:
My theory is that there is, perhaps, a special mechanic that allows a side to promote units to Warlord status. Stanley mentions turning the 'most handsome' unit he had to Chief Warlord, which supports this statement.


Stanley himself rose through the ranks, so it can certainly happen.


More important, it means he can choose when to promote a basic unit to warlord.


Dancing Cthulhu wrote:

DevilDan wrote:
I'd say it doesn't even matter that he even stabbed anyone: It matters that he got to wield his spear in combat. He died in combat, not ignominiously executed without event seeing any action as his first life ended.


Indeed

Notice however the last part of his mind process:

He loved the Titans, and Wanda their Tool, for granting him this new life and this new spear. And though he had never yet used it, now he knew what he was for. His side was the Titan's side. They had raised him from the ground to use this spear just once.


He isn't happy just because he can finally wield his spear at a true enemy. He's happy because he can swing his spear and make a diference with that blow. Not much really, but who knows, that dead warlord's destroyed leadership bonus may make the diference between Wanda's stack escaping heavily wounded or not escaping at all. when Jetstone launches their attack on them. That was Ford's plan. We've already seen warlord leadership bonus stack to improve troop power. Every warlord dead decreases the whole power of Jetstone's army. If archers have limited arrows as Tremis said, every bit matters for Wanda.

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:


Quote:
In book 1 Webinar and her girlfriend don't have capes either. I support the theory that capes=high level warlords/units. Ossomer for example had a cape, as well as Ansom, both being the strongest princes of Jetstone, while Tramenis the diplomat probably sees little frontline action and thus must be just medium level.


I wasn't disagreeing, I was just saying we can't probably base it on Trem not wearing a cape since most princes/chief warlords have distinctive looks. Beyond the cape Ansom and Oss always dressed differently (Ansom had a few costume changes). Trem dresses very differently again, and none of them dress anything like the rest of Jetstone's warlords who all look similar (beyond the question of capes).

And I'm not sure about the lv thing - Trem is likely a lower level then his brothers, yes, but closer to a potentially capeless 1st lv warlord then them, Antium, I. Brows or any of the other number of caped individuals that were in Oss's stack? (I do like the idea of some really stuffy ceremony though where a warlord gains the right lv and is presented with a cape). And I don't know - he is also older then them. We only know that during much of the RCC time Slately had sent him off on a diplomatic missions, not that he has mainly been limited to diplomatic missions throughout his life (I'd be surprised if he was lower then lv 6).
[/quote]

Good points. Guess we'll need more updates to figure that out.

Altough another example that may be worth analyzing is Stanley himself. He doesn't wear a cape in all of book 1, but it's wearing one at the start of book 2. Maybe dragon taming gives out exp and he got some levels out of it?
oslecamo2 wrote:
From one of the text updates:

Gobwin Knob’s dominion had spread out far and wide, across a variety of terrain types, and Sizemore had seen quite a bit of it. Warlord Ansom and Lady Firebaugh had taken to razing cities which produced less useful unit types, and he would fly out by dwagon relay and rebuild on the ruins. This created a city that popped the same kinds of units the capital did: infantry and twolls for a Level One, plus spidews and warlords for a Level Two, and dwagons for a Level Three or more.


So warlords can be popped from regular towns.

Probbly only the heir can be popped from the capital, and it's extra expensive because it's a life insurance. If you die, your heir can continue your side, but whitout heir, the death of the leader means the total wipe of your faction.


Good catch, I forgot they were included there.
oslecamo2 wrote:
He's happy because he can swing his spear and make a diference with that blow. Not much really, but who knows, that dead warlord's destroyed leadership bonus may make the diference between Wanda's stack escaping heavily wounded or not escaping at all. when Jetstone launches their attack on them. That was Ford's plan. We've already seen warlord leadership bonus stack to improve troop power. Every warlord dead decreases the whole power of Jetstone's army. If archers have limited arrows as Tremis said, every bit matters for Wanda.


I don't think your average grunt thinks that strategically. It's his duty to hurt the enemy, the warlord is the highest ranked enemy he can hurt, that's about it. Plus the Titans will look kindly on one who fell fighting well and and scoring the best he could (isn't that Scorism - one of the Erfworld belief systems?)

One less level 1 is very little compared to the XP gained by others in a rout like this, it limits gains at most. If two level 1's level-up through this fight, the loss is pretty much off set, and Tram is still in a better position than if he'd gone straight to Spacerock.

c'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.
Quote:
Good points. Guess we'll need more updates to figure that out.

Altough another example that may be worth analyzing is Stanley himself. He doesn't wear a cape in all of book 1, but it's wearing one at the start of book 2. Maybe dragon taming gives out exp and he got some levels out of it?


Or maybe it's just a bit of dollamancy and up to the ruler to decide. Seems Slately would like capes, look at his.

That or, for generic warlords, capes go on Noble Warlords as all the ones in Trems stacks were at the beginning of Book 2.
gazes_also wrote:
Plus the Titans will look kindly on one who fell fighting well and and scoring the best he could (isn't that Scorism - one of the Erfworld belief systems?)


Yeah, Tramenis was discussing it.
Is this the guy who was lamenting his instant capture when wanda and ansom smashed a city at the start of her crusade?
Why can't Wrigley just die, doing his duty though he accomplishes little or nothing? Isn't that the general rule for battle fodder anyway. I don't see why it all has to be so meaningful and romanticized. He finally got to wield his spear. His purpose, as the titans dictated it, was fulfilled simply by that.

Maybe it's a matter of taste. I don't need him to survive, I don't need him to kill even a level-one warlord, I don't need him to even kill a single stabber. I think there is value an interest and poetry in his story and in how he lived and thought and died. And, yes, that may seem to make him inconsequential, but I would see him as the every[s]man[/s]-Erfling.

I don't think it even matters to him that he will be rewarded in heaven as much as it matters to him that he performed his innate duty.
DevilDan wrote:
Why can't Wrigley just die

The crowd probably want him to be a unit version of a Chekhov's Gun. Tsk, tsk, tsk, for shame.
Danetrix wrote:
DevilDan wrote:
Why can't Wrigley just die

The crowd probably want him to be a unit version of a Chekhov's Gun. Tsk, tsk, tsk, for shame.

The text updates seem to work differently from the comics in that regard. We had a lot of information about Sammy Haggar in the text updates, establishing his character pretty much. Still he died in the first battle we saw. Same with Ford and Twenty. So text updates color in the background, but it's still background. Background characters don't stand a fighting chance against foreground characters such as Ansom or Tramennis. All the can hope for is an honorable mention in the comic, like Tram saying after the battle: "We lost 20 infantry and one lvl1 Warlord, let's move on to the city".
DevilDan wrote:
Why can't Wrigley just die, doing his duty though he accomplishes little or nothing? Isn't that the general rule for battle fodder anyway. I don't see why it all has to be so meaningful and romanticized. He finally got to wield his spear. His purpose, as the titans dictated it, was fulfilled simply by that.

Maybe it's a matter of taste. I don't need him to survive, I don't need him to kill even a level-one warlord, I don't need him to even kill a single stabber. I think there is value an interest and poetry in his story and in how he lived and thought and died. And, yes, that may seem to make him inconsequential, but I would see him as the every[s]man[/s]-Erfling.

I don't think it even matters to him that he will be rewarded in heaven as much as it matters to him that he performed his innate duty.


That pretty much how I see it as well.

robak wrote:
The text updates seem to work differently from the comics in that regard. We had a lot of information about Sammy Haggar in the text updates, establishing his character pretty much. Still he died in the first battle we saw. Same with Ford and Twenty. So text updates color in the background, but it's still background. Background characters don't stand a fighting chance against foreground characters such as Ansom or Tramennis. All the can hope for is an honorable mention in the comic, like Tram saying after the battle: "We lost 20 infantry and one lvl1 Warlord, let's move on to the city".


That one of the things I like about the text updates and what I have seen as one of their uses. Agree about the honorable mention bit, I can see some sort of after battle report were we get to see the final tally.