Book 2 - Text Updates 057

Book 2 - Text Updates 057

The former (and technically, present) King of Jetstone stood in the bare alley, regarding the future King of Jetstone.

Soldiers and warlords allowed them more-than-respectful distance, their boots dodging the alleyway by entire blocks. Nor were there any courtiers here. Slately, a warrior king in need of no flattery now, had shooed them away as soon as he‘d landed.

Here in an unremarkable spot, they were free to be themselves. King and Heir. Father and son.

It was perhaps the most awkward moment of Slately‘s long life.

“There is so much...so much to say now,” he faltered again. “To be a Ruler...you will not find it simple. They lie to you. You have to lie to them. Everyone. It‘s not the way it ought to be, but it‘s...”

“It‘s in the nature of power,” suggested Tramennis, nodding.

Yes, of course. Tramennis was the diplomat. He knew this already.

“Just...stay true to yourself. Don‘t be dragged down by the deceit. As with Charlie,” said Slately, grasping for the right words, “be cautious. I believe he wants to help us. But he is...he is Charlie.”

“I will handle Charlie, Sire.” Tramennis‘ eyes were troubled, his gaze intense.

“Yes,” said Slately. “I must tell you something. The stories...the reason why Royals are superior, it is true. It is true! We are the Titans‘ chosen people. They put us here in the world first, to rule. And they ennobled us, made us greater. That is no lie. You must believe it, and be true to Royal ideals. Whatever happens, you mustn‘t lower yourself! You mustn‘t debase yourself, or Jetstone. Promise me!”

Tramennis held his chin raised, and stared for a moment before nodding in assent. “I do so promise, father.”

Slately sighed. “This business with the Arkentools...it has consumed me. But I think that perhaps I have misunderstood. It cannot be the Titans‘ will that these cretins and knaves shall conquer us. No. But we must accept the truth of it.

“They have this power. And to survive it, we must be our greater selves. Let Charlie scheme, let Stanley connive and bully. Let that Croakamancer witch try her best to corrupt what is good in the world! Ours is only to cleave to our ideals, in word and deed. Our failures have only been within our own hearts.”

Tramennis frowned. “I don‘t believe Ansom‘s fall was a failure of spirit...he was deceived. Ossomer, too, was slain ignobly.”

“Ossomer turned back!” snapped Slately, raising a finger. “He knew his failure and reversed its course! As I go now to do, with my final act. And I shall strike down the one who deceived Ansom!” Slately thought of what Ossomer‘s redemption might mean. “Although for all I know, Prince Ansom shall yet turn back, too. That is his own battle. You should help him, if you can.”

Tramennis nodded, his lips pressed tightly together.

For a moment or more, the two men said nothing. When Tramennis finally spoke, his voice was hoarse. “How did you...” He cleared his throat. “I‘m having trouble imagining a world without a King Slately,” he whispered, the corners of his eyes now glistening. “Did you miss your father, when he was gone?”

The question surprised the King. Until he tried to go there, he hadn‘t realized that corner of his memory was so dusty. “Certainly. Yes. King Headboard fell at Sharonstone–quite nobly I‘m told–but it was a terrible shock to everyone. So long ago, now. I wonder if I shall see him... I wonder if, being a duplicate, I shall be anything at all.” He looked helplessly at his son.

“Anything at all? You are my father,” asserted Tramennis firmly. His cheeks were red, and his misty eyes defiant. “If the Titans themselves are worth anything at all, then they‘ll have a parade for you every day. With bright paper hats and puppets and a dancing bear. Tell them I said so!”

King Slately looked at him wonderingly, then split a sudden wide grin. Tramennis‘ flippant humor had annoyed him countless times. At this moment, though, he finally understood it. At this moment, it was just the right thing.

“I shall do precisely that. I do so promise, son.”

Slately looked at him, all gangly and angular, slight of build and airy of voice, and loved him more than the world. “We‘ve never once embraced, you know. Not ever,” he said.

Before the King could feel too stupid about saying such a thing, Tramennis arms were crushing him. Slately hugged back with not a care for whatever idiotic proprieties had ever kept them at such a distance.

Singing and dancing bear,” sobbed Tramennis into his ear. “They‘re the Titans, they can flipping-well arrange as much!”

---

Slately felt the need to say something, to address his assembled troops.

His flying accessory was in use by the Dollamancer, so one of the battle bears held him aloft with both paws. It was ludicrous, but he quite liked it. He liked his new feelings of flying, of being uplifted. He wanted to impart that to his men. Today he had unshackled himself from the selfish petty lies of Court, and ascended.

“Men of Jetstone,” said the King, in a powerful, booming tone he couldn‘t ever remember being able to manage before, “those who will stay and fight with me now, and those who will follow to serve under your new King, know this: we fight as one.

“We fight for love of the Titans. We fight for love of the Crown, and love for those who have ruled and served and fought before us. We fight for love of our side, and for love of one another. The way of Jetstone is one of purity, nobility, dignity, and good, while the enemy knows only hatred and corruption!

“Feel it in your hearts now, Jetstone! Love is our strength! Love is why we fight! Love is why we must prevail! Love is our battlefield!”

Comic - Book 2 - Text Updates 057

Recent posts... (See full thread)
Whispri wrote:
It's a pity neither of you bothered to check Book Zero before you rushed in sneering, because if you had you might have noticed this:

IPTSF Text 20 wrote:
The same five of them now stepped out into the gray daylight and the chill breeze. This morning, Father had sent Delphie into the Magic Kingdom to buy the scroll Wanda now unrolled. It was a fairly hefty piece of magic, and it cost 18,000 Shmuckers, or close to a fifth of Goodminton's treasury. It was not offensive; she could cast it before Goodminton broke alliance. She hoped she would not fail.

And of course after that it's just maths, the Treasury must have been close to 90,000 before the scroll was bought and was reduced to just over 72,000 afterwards. And that is far less than half the sum required to designate a Prince.

There is simpy no way they can have doubled their money after that.

I have several only vaguely related responses to this:

1. My post was rude, and for that I apologize. It does get under my skin when people make outlandish claims without backing them up, but I shouldn't be rude about it.
2. You made an outlandish claim without backing it up... until now... which is nice to see since, now that you have, we can make progress in our understanding of the comic... well almost, since...
3. Where did we learn the price of designating a royal heir (which is what I assume you mean by prince)? I kinda remember knowing something along this line before I took 6 months off from checking the comic, so I'm not doubting it's in here somewhere... I just don't remember where and I couldn't find it last time I looked.
4. I still don't find your argument compelling even if 3 is a verifiable number. We don't know all of the things that make schmuckers come and go... your claim about the treasury doesn't have much heft given this and given that promoting Wanda was an act of desperation. The overlord could pull out all of the stops for getting the required schmuckers since we know it essentially ENDED the side except for Wanda's stack (I'm thinking razing the capital city for money here).

Burden of proof for your claim is on you.

Whispri wrote:
Whispri wrote:
Beeskee wrote:
For reference: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F079a.jpg

This is the comic that talks about how Royals have slightly stronger stats, and level faster.

The trouble with that is, well how do we know that isn't just a bonus for being popped in a Side's Capital?

And when, pray tell, has Parson had the opportunity to meet a Warlord popped in the Capital of an Overlord? To our knowledge, the only living person on Erf who has met such a Warlord, would be the ever cagey Wanda.

Sorry for excising my own quote... 3 quote limit and I wanted that link in there....

Do you have an answer for how "Royal and noble units have slightly stronger stats, and level faster" could mean anything else? Remember you're not contradicting Parson here, you're contradicting Sizemore... and we have no reason to believe that he would be an unreliable source in this regard. Furthermore, it would be very out of keeping with the rest of the comic if we had to question rules as presented in Parson's updates.
There is no evidence (that I'm aware of) from the comic for this conjecture, but might the cost of Unit promotion have at least a partial dependency on the current Level of the Unit being promoted? Perhaps a higher Leveled Unit would cost more (or less) to promote, above and beyond the 'Nobility' modifier. I don't have anything to back up that hypothesis, and I don't remember the Level of Wanda (or Tramennis, for that matter) upon the point of Promotion.
Cubbins...the most lovable caster :) I don't care who you are, you're my new best friend (well...second-best, because Salem is already my best friend thanks to our shared opinion of Cubbins as "Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!")
Cubbins the most lovable? Don't you mean Uhura
Most loved and most loveable aren't always streets that intersect. Cubbins is in fact the most loveable as my bestie 0bie says. This isn't opinion either it's hard fact supported by
True story bestie :p
Well, now I feel pretty good, despite being crushed under a bunch of rocks. Thanks! :mrgreen:
Cubbins wrote:
There is no evidence (that I'm aware of) from the comic for this conjecture, but might the cost of Unit promotion have at least a partial dependency on the current Level of the Unit being promoted? Perhaps a higher Leveled Unit would cost more (or less) to promote, above and beyond the 'Nobility' modifier. I don't have anything to back up that hypothesis, and I don't remember the Level of Wanda (or Tramennis, for that matter) upon the point of Promotion.


It might also have to do with the size of the side the heir is going to inherit. A huge side like Jetstone might have to fork over more money for such a promotion than one like Goodminton. And, Goodminton has been known to raze cities for money:
The Erfworld Wiki wrote:
All Cities save the Capital were lost to Haffaton or razed for Shmuckers following the Kiloton debacle.

Therefore, Overlord Firebaugh might have pulled the "wipe everything that's left for shmuckers to promote Wanda" gambit, in the end.
Who knows!
CelebrenIthil wrote:
The Erfworld Wiki wrote:
All Cities save the Capital were lost to Haffaton or razed for Shmuckers following the Kiloton debacle.

Therefore, Overlord Firebaugh might have pulled the "wipe everything that's left for shmuckers to promote Wanda" gambit, in the end.
Who knows!


By way of tearing down my own theory, in this recent update (Book 0 e. 47) it appears as though Goodminton was not razed at the last minute (assuming that Goodminton would no longer be a level 2 that looks like Goodminton did if it were razed). Nevertheless, there may be other ways to convert resources on hand to schmuckers at the last minute... or other mechanics that affect the cost of a promotion, or other ways to gain schmuckers with a new turn, or anything that can account for Goodminton having ~70k at some earlier time and promoting Wanda at some later time (despite the cost of promoting Tram being estimated as <170k). It still seems premature to me to assume that the factor at play must be "overlord v. royal."
Oberon wrote:
Whispri wrote:
That said [Parson] did a bit of fighting at Gobwin Knob, he croaked a Wiener-Rammer, might have scored the croaking blow on the Warlord who'd been riding said doggy and led the stacks that defeated the soldiers that Warlord was leading. If the fight in the courtyard was, for example, considered a series of small engagements rather than one large one, he may have gained quite a bit of experience there as well. So it's not impossible that he's levelled since arrival.
I used to think so as well, and for the exact same reasons. After all, Parson has seen a bit of action, and even leading should give...a leader...some experience. And then there was that whole "ordered the action which wiped out thousands of RCC units" thing, which some might assume would also convey some EXP to the originator of the concept and plan. Or so a person might think. After all, Fud leveled twice with just a few kills. But there was a strip which stated that Parson was still L2. It was when Ossomer was griping that the CWL was only L2, and Sylvia responded that Parson was Level Million.


My guess as to the reason Parson is still level 2: Parson withdrew from that fight. And these pages imply that withdrawal* results in a battle being counted as a loss and your units not gaining experience, even if they take out enemy units beforehand.

*Of a separate sort than what Jillian is experiencing in the current update. Though that probably doesn't result in leveling either.