The Battle for Gobwin Knob - Episode 147

The Battle for Gobwin Knob - Episode 147
Comic - The Battle for Gobwin Knob - Episode 147
Recent posts... (See full thread)
seans23 wrote:
Matty wrote:

The Dwagon we see Stanley taming in panel 2 of this comic (presumably just after he receives the arkenhammer)


I'm not sure that's the moment being illustrated in that comic. I think Wanda is communicating with him via that dragon. Note the dragon's glowing eyes. If he had just found the hammer and is taming the dragon, why does one of the other dragons in that panel already have a mount?


The dwagon's eyes and the Arkenhammer are both glowing, which suggests to me that he's taming it. There's no particular reason the Arkenhammer would be directly involved in Wanda sending Stanley a message.

The overall impression I get is that this may be the first batch of dwagons Stanley tamed, which is why he looks a bit tentative and unsure of himself.
Whispri wrote:
Ansom really didn't seem keen on them. That would count for a lot, as would Wanda's likely huge upkeep costs.
Perhaps I've just read things too hastily, but who are you refering to when you say "them"?
warriortribble wrote:
Whispri wrote:
Ansom really didn't seem keen on them. That would count for a lot, as would Wanda's likely huge upkeep costs.
Perhaps I've just read things too hastily, but who are you refering to when you say "them"?

Errr, Uncroaked in general, maybe? He referred to them as abominations.
I can see the Arkendish making a 4 caster linkup possible though still highly dangerous. Anything beyond that simply seem munchkiny.
Hmm Just a guess
But Wanda just says that she learned of a Warlord that had found the Arkenhammer.
Couldn't it be that the has led her to understimate Stanley?
I mean she was thinking that SHE was the one that would attune to it. So it's plausible that she believed that for Stanley it would be a minor thing [Like the pliers for Ansom] and NOT the Dragon Taming Powerhouse it is.
Is there any fault in my reasoning? Just to know...
We do know that Stanley won a lot of battles and gained some renown after gaining the Arkenhammer. However, we don't know what the timeline is between him finding the Arkenhammer and Wanda conspiring with him. If she had very good intelligence and found out about him quickly, before he'd gained a lot of reputation as a powerhouse, she could very well have thought that he wasn't attuned to it.

Either way, I think it's fairly easy to underestimate Stanley. He's not the sharpest nail in the Toolbox, but he can, as Ansom once pointed out, pull of a shrewd trick or two.
Another possibility that occurs to me is that Wanda may have told Stanley that she just wanted a relatively small bit of assistance for an internal Faq coup, thinking that he was too much of an "imbecile" to see and seize upon the alternative of coming in with overwhelming force and conquering the whole shebang for his own side instead. Concluding that he's inept about politics and grand strategy is more likely than concluding that he's inept about battlefield tactics -- after all, everything we know indicates that the former is true and the latter is false.

Whether Jillian's absence during the crucial turn was happenstance or intentional (and, in the latter case, why it was so planned) remains to be seen.
Bahamuttone wrote:
Hmm Just a guess
But Wanda just says that she learned of a Warlord that had found the Arkenhammer.
Couldn't it be that the has led her to understimate Stanley?
I mean she was thinking that SHE was the one that would attune to it. So it's plausible that she believed that for Stanley it would be a minor thing [Like the pliers for Ansom] and NOT the Dragon Taming Powerhouse it is.
Is there any fault in my reasoning? Just to know...


It's a nearby thought; but he already had the dwagons, and to tame them someone needs to be attuned (at least I think so).

Btw: What if Stanley tamed the dwagons after Wanda has contacted him? It's fate magic after all, and that seems to be the perfect moment, if there is some higher plan to collect all the tools in one faction. Wanda thought that he would attack with something more conventional, but not with the dwagons. That could explain why Stanley needed a new battle cry.
Welf von Ehrwald wrote:
Bahamuttone wrote:
Hmm Just a guess
But Wanda just says that she learned of a Warlord that had found the Arkenhammer.
Couldn't it be that the has led her to understimate Stanley?
I mean she was thinking that SHE was the one that would attune to it. So it's plausible that she believed that for Stanley it would be a minor thing [Like the pliers for Ansom] and NOT the Dragon Taming Powerhouse it is.
Is there any fault in my reasoning? Just to know...


It's a nearby thought; but he already had the dwagons, and to tame them someone needs to be attuned (at least I think so).

Btw: What if Stanley tamed the dwagons after Wanda has contacted him? It's fate magic after all, and that seems to be the perfect moment, if there is some higher plan to collect all the tools in one faction. Wanda thought that he would attack with something more conventional, but not with the dwagons. That could explain why Stanley needed a new battle cry.

hehe, stop! hammer time....that's magic it's like 159 pages of comic built up to that punchline.
The Old Hack wrote:
warriortribble wrote:
Whispri wrote:
Ansom really didn't seem keen on them. That would count for a lot, as would Wanda's likely huge upkeep costs.
Perhaps I've just read things too hastily, but who are you refering to when you say "them"?

Errr, Uncroaked in general, maybe? He referred to them as abominations.

Sorry, yes that was what I meant, also note that he called Wanda a "Demoness" and that he wanted to murder her repeatedly for obeying a direct order from her Chief Warlord. Didn't exactly give of feelings of warmth for Croakamancers did he?